(Closed) DIY Wedding Invitations

posted 5 years ago in DIY
  • poll: Would You make your own invitations?
    Yes : (61 votes)
    80 %
    No : (15 votes)
    20 %
  • Post # 46
    222 posts
    Helper bee

….following

Post # 47
    440 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2017

Does anyone have a template for a pocket invitation with 3 – 4 response cards? 

Post # 48
    53 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    emmagreen482017 :  Your invitations are beautiful! How did you manage to do the cutting of the design at the top?

Post # 49
    857 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2018 - Tizer Gardens/Carroll College

I’ve had a design I’ve been working on for a long time, but finally feel like I hit pay dirt yesterday.

View original reply
    emmagreen482017 :  I was looking at some of these videos earlier today, and I keep wondering if you could print the first run through an inkjet printer, for the things you don’t want to be gold foiled, and then run the invite through a laser jet printer for those you do want laminated, and then through the laminator for those pieces you want in gold foil. So many steps! Can you run the gold foil through an inkjet printer after you’ve foiled??

IE, I’d like to have the words below in Navy in black or navy, and the elements below in gold, gold foiled. I kind of also want to put our picture on the right, I have a graphic element to the bottom left corner (that I’m not advertising yet), and the date I have layered in the same scripty/block font fashion… and then on the front of our postcard, I have a lovely little phrase at the bottom that I kind of also want in  gold foil, so we’re talking gold foil on two sides and overlapping text.

This is the problem with being a designer, y’all

Post # 50
    316 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    cr1983 :  I used a decorative hole punch. Martha stewart has a whole range with load of different patterns. I ordered mine from amazon and it was like $12. 

View original reply
    nelliemade :  I don’t see why you couldn’t run it through the inkjet first. None of the foil would stick to to anything you print. I’m not sure if you can do it after you’ve foiled it, it might scratch the foil? The biggest thing I’ve noticed is if you apply heat after you’ve already foiled it it’s still shiny but it’s more of a matte finish than a clean shine. So you might get the same effect if it goes through the inkjet after foiling. 

For your design I think doing the inkjet black or navy first would be your best option. Then I would just remove that from your design so you only print the areas you want foiling through a laser printer. That way you wouldn’t have any issues with it picking up extra toner in the overlapping text.

Post # 51
    857 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2018 - Tizer Gardens/Carroll College

View original reply
    emmagreen482017 :  I agree… sadly though I feel like the layering wouldn’t work as great… But since I have the white outline between the navy text and the gold text, i suppose I could pull all the elements apart after converting all the text to outlines, and then use pathfinder to convert everything into a shape with the cutouts. I guess I have a year to figure it out!

Post # 52
    82 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

View original reply
    cinnapep :  you invites are STUNNING! 

Post # 53
    494 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
    sharpie01 :  thanks so much!

Post # 54
    440 posts
    Helper bee

I have to share mine soon too.  I did decide to use foil though I had to change it a little bit.  The cardstock that I bought was too heavy to really attach the foil properly.  It was sad to have to completely change my vision.  I ended up decided to just foil our names on the main invite.  I was going to foil the title of the 3 details cards too but it didn’t work out.  I changed it to use ribbon instead.  I’m actually shocked at how creative I am after making these invitations.

I still have a few dozen to make but the first set included me sitting at a kitchen table all day with my family the day after Christmas.  None of them live here so I needed as much help as possible while I was there. 

The topic ‘DIY Wedding Invitations’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors