(Closed) DJ & Live Music company wants to charge $3,600…

posted 6 years ago in Music
Post # 2
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: eloping

You make me so glad my wedding will cost under $100. haha This price is reasonable. I work as a entertainer at events in the NYC area, and my base rates start at $1000 per hour booking. A DJ and all that goes with it is much more intense setup, including all setup and lighting. Thats reasonable to get quality. Otherwise you might end up with a horrible sound and lighting system. Stay away from obnoxious MC’s though they are the worst thing at receptions. 

Post # 3
588 posts
Busy bee

I work with a wedding band and know plently of people who pay 5k just for cocktail hour + 3ish hours of live music in the DC metro area.

I’m sure you could find someone cheaper(companies usually inflate the costs a bit because they get a commision off of each booking typically), but the quality and professionalism might take a hit. Just my opinion though!

Post # 4
2314 posts
Buzzing bee

I would cut the percussionist

Post # 5
4073 posts
Honey bee

I paid $2500 in NY for just a DJ and no live music of any kind. Most bands I looked at quoted 7K+. I think the price is reasonable. Not sure what the percussionist is really going to add…I’d cut that if you want to trim the budget. 

Post # 7
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

like pp said it’s a reasonable price for Long Island unfortunate esp with the live musicians. I would also cut the drummer if you want to save. I went to a wedding with one and it was just awkward, didn’t add much to the music for me just like watching a guy drum along to a song in his basement or something lol. And it didn’t get more people dancing at this wedding at least though that could have just been a crowd or songs the dj played kind of issue.  Oh also you can always ask for discounts! Never hurts to try. Tell them it’s your dream to have xyz but it’s a little out of budget, could they help with some sort of percentage off? ESP if you are having a Sunday day wedding ask if they can knock some off the price! 

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Star116062.
Post # 9
4036 posts
Honey bee

Live bands around here charge much, much more.

I saw a videotape, from the talent company where we hired the bands for my daughters’ wedings, and they had a drummer with a DJ. I’m not one for loud music, and I thought my head would implode, with the way he was furiously pounding the drums. I love acoustic guitar, though, but I don’t know if they offered that option.

Post # 10
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

We’re in NJ, and we paid $2800 for DJ/MC and dance floor lighting, plus a live instrumentalist for our cocktail hour. If you want a quality product, I don’t think you’re going to find something too far off that price point! That said – you should always negotiate, especially if you’re booking that many services from one company!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by sleepymelis.

The topic ‘DJ & Live Music company wants to charge $3,600…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors