(Closed) Do I have any recourse?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
3588 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2000

@futuremrsfitz18:  Sorry, you owe for the service you received. You can’t arbitrarily decide “not to pay” simply because they not cashed the check. At least, not for such as short time between you receiving the service and their lack of action.

When if goes into months that they haven’t cashed it, let’s talk then. I think it’s great that you’ve been proactive to flag them that the check hasn’t been cashed.

If you’ve obligated the money in your checking accout by wirting  check, think of it as not being there.

Post # 5
2692 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Give it a few more weeks, just make sure not to touch that money incase they do go ahead one of these days and cash it…you want to make sure you have the money (and you should since you probably decucted it from your account when you wrote the check.)  This will prevent you from overdrapting. I wouldn’t contact them again unless a 2 or so months from now, the money is still there.

Post # 6
5956 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

Depending on about five thousand things I’ve had companies sit on checks over three months, nothing to be done, just act like it already cleared and call it a day.

Post # 7
126 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2016 - Bridgewater Place

I work for a bank so here’s the low down. there is no timeframe in which a company or person MUST cash your check. They do become stale-dated after 6 months…meaning that if they wait longer than 6 months then the check doesn’t have to be honored. HOWEVER, you would still owe them money for the services they provided – meaning you’d have to write them a new check or pay by other means.

You also can’t arbitrarily cancel a check because you feel it’s taken too long and now just don’t want to pay. (not saying that’s what you’re trying to do) You can’t stop payment on anything that legit in order to avoid paying. You can definitely be sued and you’d lose. It sounds to me like perhaps they have lost the check? Maybe see if they would agree to let you wrtie them a new one and stop payment on that one (your bank will charge you a fee to do this. You also need the correct check number and amount for it to work). Or perhaps even better…you could see if they would accept a money order or official check. You still stop pay but the bank deducts the money for the official check right away so then you wouldn’t have to make sure you leave room for it to process in her account. The money’s already out and it’s on them to process it.

The topic ‘Do I have any recourse?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors