(Closed) do I HAVE to include a map/directions?

posted 7 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
Member
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Hmm. I think since you have a lot of Out of Town guests, providing a physical map may be important. BUT it may be more effective if you gave the hotel with your block a map/directions to hand out instead of including it in the invite – nobody will remember to bring the insert with them when they travel, and that way, it’s like you remembered for them. We did that, and it was really effective!

Post # 4
Member
7152 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

There is a website that I used for my Out of Town guests. It allows you to add locations/places onto the map that they might need ot haev acces to (banks, entertainment spots, reastaurants, malls, gas stations, hotels, etc).

it’s weddingmapper.com

You can always put the link of your map on the invitation or print the strips out yourself.

Post # 5
Member
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Nope. We had a lot of out of town guests but we didn’t include them anywhere besides the website. The address was on the invite and reception card and no one got lost. The florist and photographer specifically asked for GPS able addresses.

Post # 6
Member
171 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

We didn’t include a map, we did put the map on our wedding website, and on the invites we included the venues website where they have directions of how to get there from everywhere. Nobody complained or had a hard time getting there.

Post # 7
Member
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I figure that if you provide an address, 95% of people nowadays are familiar enough with mapquest, googlemaps, and/or have smart phones with map functions, they can get themselves there.  for the remaining 5%, such as the older guests, they likely know other people attending, so you can link them up… for example, make an aunt responsible for getting your grandma to the church on time, etc. 

Post # 8
Member
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

You’ll be fine! I wouldn’t even use a map if it was included in the invitations, I would just automatically Google it.

Post # 9
Member
46336 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You definitely do not have to include a map. In the past, people found their way to weddings all the time without a map being included in the invitation package.

Post # 10
Member
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

No maps!  They can be cool but not needed. 

Post # 11
Member
1161 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

We finally opted not to do a map in the invites, but we will include a map in the Out of Town bags if we do them.  If we don’t do Out of Town bags, be will provide transportation from the hotel to the ceremony. 

Will most of your guests be staying in a hotel the night before?  My only concern would be that some hotels don’t offer great access to printers.  But really, I think people will find their way.

Post # 12
Member
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Don’t include it if you don’t want to!  I’m doing it as a fun detail, but most of the time, included maps aren’t even sufficiently detailed to let you know where you are going!  I’m assuming most people will still use Mapquest or Google maps for directions!

Post # 13
Member
2054 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I am definately NOT including a map and directions…all that info can be found on our website…so they can just look it up that way if they need to. We sent out save the dates with our website address.

Post # 14
Member
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

maps can be sooo cute, but i don’t think they’re really necessary anymore. everyone has access to google maps or a gps. i would put a map and write out directions from the hotel on your website, but i’m against including another piece of paper in the invite just for a map. 

Post # 15
Member
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

We did driving directions from the hotel to the reception/ceremony and back. I think people really appreciated it but thats because our venue was hard to find on a GPS!

The topic ‘do I HAVE to include a map/directions?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors