(Closed) do I need a Civil Marriage License in order to be married by a catholic churchHi

posted 8 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
464 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Yes, if you would like to be considered married by civil institutions. Your priest will be able to “sign off” on both the civil license and any church paperwork. In my state, the license must be gotten from the county in which the ceremony is being performed, and you get the license the day you apply for it (you can’t use it right away- you have to wait 48 hours or something like that; and then you have a few months before it expires). Your priest may be able to help you out with this when you see him. If you do NOT want the state to consider you married, and only want to be considered married in the church, then you may not need the license. Your priest is probably your best bet for help there, too.

Post # 5
347 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

Definitely.  My sister got her marriage license at the very last minute because they were having trouble getting her husband’s birth certificate.  The priest told her she got this close to having the most expensive engagement party ever.

Post # 6
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

yes, you have to get one.  often it has to be brought to the parish either the day before or of the wedding.  

Post # 7
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Short answer… Yes…

The topic ‘do I need a Civil Marriage License in order to be married by a catholic churchHi’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors