(Closed) do i need to be concerned about this?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Probably nickel plated. I a lot of people have allergies to nickel, myself included.

Post # 5
Member
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I don’t specifically have allergies, as I can wear whatever jewelry externally that I’d like, but I do have sensitive ears, and I can only wear earrings that are proper, non allergenic gold pairs. I have no problem with my wedding ring, though. The symptoms I experience are similar to what you’re describing. Do you own any 14k necklaces? Do those bother your skin?

Post # 6
Member
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

White gold, yellow gold and stainless steel I believe should all be a okay:)

Post # 7
Member
9074 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Can I wear sterling silver jewelry if I am allergic to nickel?
Yes, just make sure the jewelry is pure sterling silver, not plated with nickel. Even Rhodium plated sterling silver jewelry sometimes contains a nickel layer between the silver and the rhodium to act as an adhesive. Hence, buy only high polished sterling silver jewelry if you are allergic to nickel.

(Source)

Chances are you have a nickel allergy. It’s incredibly common, and I highly doubt anything Walmart sells that isn’t in a case is anywhere near pure sterling silver. “Sterling Silver” doesn’t always mean “All silver.” Usually, they’re nickel plated because it’s cheapest. “Higher end” sterling silver is usually rhodium plated, but rhodium usually gives silver a deeper, darker color, whereas nickel will give it the stereotypical “Holy crap this is silver” white.

I’d just find 100% metals, like gold, platinum or stainless steel. They’re generally the most hypoallergenic.

Post # 8
Member
2869 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Are you worried that because you had the reaction to the earrings you will have a reaction to a WG ering?  I definitely wouldn’t worry. A lot of people can’t wear random earrins. Those earrings are cheap and most likely have nickel etc.  Not to mention that people’s insides of their ears are much more sensitive than their fingers.

 

Post # 10
Member
3331 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Rhodium plating the 14kt will help as platinum is hypoallergenic – relatively. If you have just started wearing earrings again I would stick with good ones. 

Post # 11
Member
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

@kansas_nurse:  I get the same exact reaction from super cheap-o earrings.  as PPs have said, it’s probably nickel. (I can tolerate other nickel jewelry, just not in piercings.)

I can wear any other metal in my piercings with absolutely no problems at all – and I am in the habit of wearing my earrings for weeks on end. I would not be worried about this if I were you.

 

Post # 12
Member
2335 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

White gold does have some nickel in it usually, but

a) white gold is rhodium-plated, so the nickel likely wouldn’t be in direct contact with your skin anyway

b) the nickel content is extremely low so you probably wouldn’t have a reaction regardless.

I also get a reaction like that to pretty much any earrings I wear, gold, silver, or the cheap-o kind. :/

I wear earrings about once every 2-3 years, and have had my holes close up before. So… yeah… my ears get crazy sore after a very short period of time ’cause they’re just not used to it.

Post # 13
Member
639 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I’m an ER nurse and just from your story sounds like you’re allergic to fake jewellery with nickel in it meaning, anything thatisn’t real gold orsterling silver. 

Post # 14
Member
2903 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I can’t wear silver or really anything in my ears (because they do exactly what you just described)unless it’s at least 14k yellow gold but my e-ring and w-band are 14k white gold and I have no problems at all.

Post # 15
Member
2207 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@kansas_nurse:  i can’t wear cheap earrings at all. my ears crust over and swell up. i have no problem with white gold rings, though! i think you should be fine.

Post # 16
Member
370 posts
Helper bee

I think you should be fine. Like everyone has said, it’s probably nickle that you are having issues with. And you are also shoving it into an internal part of your body. Your body probably viewed it as a foreign body and instantly tried to expell it with inflamation.

The topic ‘do i need to be concerned about this?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors