Do I postpone my September wedding?

posted 1 year ago in Ceremony
  • poll: To postpone or not to postpone?



  • Post # 31
    1 posts
    • Wedding: August 2020

    I’m actually in the same boat. Our wedding is 8/15/2020 (maybe) and I’ve been truly stressed about what we’re going to do. I find the uncertainty honestly worse than the idea of postponing. 

    We talked to our venue and secured a tentative hold on a date in August 2021. We also emailed all our vendors we have lined up for the wedding this year to see if they would also give us a tentative hold on our 2021 date. So right now we know that all the work we’ve done with planning the wedding for this year can be transferred over to our date next year, which is a huge weight off my shoulders. 

    So now we’re playing the waiting game. We plan to wait until at least mid-way through May before making a decision. Honestly, I think we’re going to end up postponing. My fiance has been more hopeful, but he’s starting to come around to the fact that it’s looking increasingly unlikely this year as well. 

    As everyone else said, it comes down to what’s important to you. When we first got engaged, we looked at 2021 dates anyway, so waiting the extra year will be annoying but in my mind probably worth it to be able to have the full wedding experience with showers and bachelor/bachelorettes and everything. But if you have your heart set on getting married this year, there are definitely options from having a smaller ceremony and then a party later to just having a small ceremony this year.

    This is a truly stressful situation for all involved (my heart also really goes out to the vendors right now) so I wish you the best! 

    Post # 32
    216 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2021 - Smoky Mountains

    Our wedding was originally December 2020 but after hearing how many of our friends & family had lost their jobs / going through financial insecurity, and also hearing some warning that there is a risk that in the fall we will see cases of COVID-19 likely spike one more time (from people going back to social gatherings), we have decided to officially postpone to December 2021.


    We were fortunate that all our vendors have allowed us to change the date with no repercussions and we are personally trying to reset our perception of the situation. It gives us additional time to plan and save money, our wedding won’t be following immediately in the wake of a literal pandemic, it allows our friends & families to get back to their “normal” and find stability once again, we got to choose a new cool wedding date wink (12/11/21), etc, etc, etc.


    Best of luck as you decide what to do.

    Post # 33
    146 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 2021

    Bravo!  You are bing sensible.  Keep in mind, this is a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.  That means nothing will be normal again.  It will take a while before any safety of any kind will give us the freedoms that we have taken for granted.  And besides, your guests may not show for your September wedding.  You can speak to your venue via on line and phone conversation to make any changes.  Don’t worry about your other vendors, they will be thre for you, but do call them immediately and give them a new date.  Hang in there — it’s tough all around.

    Post # 34
    4583 posts
    Honey bee

    I would postpone even if it is just for peace of mind. Recovery will be tranched and social events will be the last to come back. And if there is any spike in cases, we will go back to stringent rules overnight, at which point it will be that much harder to find an open date.

    Also, I wouldn’t want my loved ones (or others) to catch it because of my wedding and die. As an example, they’ve traced back the majority of the Chicago cases to one person who attended a small dinner party and a funeral. Until we have a vaccine fully rolled out, I wouldn’t host any social events.

    Leave a comment

    Find Amazing Vendors