(Closed) Do they take your old passport when you change your name?

posted 11 years ago in Names
Post # 3
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

You will NOT get your passport back with all your pretty stamps if you send it in.  When mine was expiring I just payed more and said that I had “mispaced” my other passport (because I was the same way and wanted to keep my old one for the stamps/visas/memories!!).  It wasn’t a big deal but as a word of caution you supposedly can only have a certain number of passports issued to you in your lifetime so just keep that in mind. 

Post # 4
3124 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I heard that you will get it back, with a hole punched in it. I haven’t done this yet, though, so I can’t say for sure.

Post # 5
64 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think if you have a still-valid visa in it they send it back.

Post # 6
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I just renewed my passport a couple of months ago, and a day after I received my new passport,  I received my old passport in the mail with a hole punched in it! I’d assume it would be the same with a name change.

Post # 7
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

according to the governments website is says.

11. I’m renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.


I hope that helps.  I want mine back also, when I renew and change my name.  My family has some of my grandparents old passports.

Post # 8
750 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My husband just got a new one and they sent the old one back with a hole in it. The new ones are much prettier than the old passports as well.

Post # 9
782 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

Thanks for asking this, i’ve been wondering the same as well!

Post # 10
252 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Renewing is different than a name change. When I changed my name 10 years ago, they sent me back my old passport with a printed entry on a page in the middle reflecting my name change. I found this a little odd, and even more so because they market the page with a post-it flag.

I’ve traveled a fair amount with my “amended” passport and it hasn’t been a problem. It is a little hassel, more so with airline staff who aren’t used to seeing it than with Customs.

I don’t know if they still do this the same way, so if anyone has done a name change (not a renewal) recently, please post.

Post # 11
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I renewed and changed my name at the same time, in February 2010. I got my old passport back with a hole punched in the cover.

Post # 12
169 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m not really going to risk it personally, I’m just going to say I misplaced it and pay a little extra. I’d rather not even have it lost in the mail, etc.

Post # 13
769 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

You should get it back w/ a hole punched in it.  If anyone’s passport is <1 yr old, they will actually just amend your current one (like bestforlast).

Post # 14
13 posts
  • Wedding: June 2010

I changed my name (but did not renew) several years ago, and got back my old (current?) passport with my then new name printed on one of the back pages.

Post # 15
4122 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’ve been wondering this! Glad to know.. I think mine my go missing as well… I don’t want a hole punched in it… we’ve been through a lot… and to a lot of places together! 

Post # 16
2680 posts
Sugar bee

Actually you will get it back, but there will be a hole punched through it making it invalid. You can pay more money to get a brand new one and say you lost it instead of paying less money to change your name if you prefer.  The hole isnt large like taking up the whole book, its like when they punch a hole in your drivers license.

The topic ‘Do they take your old passport when you change your name?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors