Do we need a DJ? Does it have to be $1000+?

posted 1 year ago in Music
Post # 2
1112 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

auroraocelot :  a good dj can manage the mood of your event, get people going. Even if you have someone who manages your playlist, it’s not the same.

Post # 3
1132 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

DJ’s are like photographers – you pay less you get less.

It depends what you want it for. Do you want them to DJ and MC? Just DJ? How many hours? What kind of equipment (lights, electronics etc)?

If you just want a basic DJ to spin tracks and keep to a schedule for a few hours, I think you can get one for under $1k. You just need to shop around. 

Post # 4
73 posts
Worker bee

One wedding I went to. They had their emcee just cue the playlists and it went perfect!

Post # 5
9578 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

We found our DJ for $1k. It wasn’t easy.. we are in Seattle where everything is more expensive.. but we found a guy with a couple years of part time experience who was a senior in college. It went off without a hitch. 🙂

Post # 6
9752 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

At the moment our plan is to do playlists and just get the emcee to announce the special dances. I am still a little uncertain but I think it could work well. It doesn’t cost much at all, depending on how you get the music – paid monthly service like Google Play, Apple Music or Spotify, or bought individual songs and put on cds or a usb.

If you do want a DJ, as other bees have said, you can find ones out there for lower costs. Similar to photographers there are probably up and coming DJs who would do your wedding for a lower price. 

Good luck bee!

Post # 8
638 posts
Busy bee

I spent 500 on my DJ, and I live in a really expensive area. So I would say shop around some more

Post # 9
2013 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2018

We bought a mixer for our engagement party and just played songs from spotify. We didn’t want the dj so chose the music. Everyone was a dancing!

Post # 10
305 posts
Helper bee

You can definitely find good vendors (DJs and photographers) on a budget. It just takes a bit more work. I’m a coordinator, and I’ve seen great DJs that were budget-friendly and terrible DJs that were expensive (though this is less common). 

I’ve had the playlist thing go really well if you have an emcee. Or if you have a friend who can act as emcee, and who has a great personality, that can also be fine. Some day of coordinators (which I’d highly reccomend, even if it’s a small affair) also will emcee if needed.

Post # 11
446 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

We had my now-husband bring his own speakers into our reception space and test it a few days beforehand. We picked a nice selection of jazz classics (we got lots of compliments on the music the night of). I made the playlists, and made sure there was enough music for at least 4-5 hours (though we didn’t need that much, in the end). My sister, the Maid/Matron of Honor, cued our first dance, which is the only dance we did as ours is not a dancing crowd. 

So, long story short, you do not need a DJ for a smaller wedding (we had 40 people), and the evening ran very smoothly without one. Similarly, the final cost of our wedding turned out to be around 7k-8k. 

Post # 12
1749 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I agree with the bees,  a DJ is totally worth it.  I also wanted to use a playlist and not hire a DJ,  but Dh really wanted a DJ. He was really helpful,  kept the mood going,  made announcements,  called tables up to the buffet for dinner. 

Have you been to any bridal shows? I met some DJs that cost about $500 and seemed to have worked a lot of weddings. We ended up going with someone Dh knew because he DJ’ part time and worked some events Dh was at. He charged $300, but was worth it in the end. 

Post # 13
542 posts
Busy bee

auroraocelot :  

Look around on Kijiji and Craigslist. You might be able to find a cheaper DJ on those websites. 

Post # 14
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - City, State

I’d say you need one. I debated on having a playlist run all night, but in the end, it was easier to hire someone. Plus, he helped a lot in making sure the night ran smooth. He was recommended to us by another bride and we ended up paying about 850$ for the entire night. It’ll take some searching, but you’ll find one to fit your budget.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors