Post # 1
We are getting married during a holiday weekend, but 85% of our guests live within 30-60 minutes of our venue. The other 15% are mostly relatives who will likely stay at the homes of other relatives. There are 2-5 guests who would probably prefer to stay at a hotel and we have contemplated getting a suite for the wedding night, but we leave at 8 AM for our honeymoon so will barely even get to use it & our home is 30 minutes away.
Do they even do a “block” for so few rooms? Is it any cheaper than if guests book separately?
We are “old fashioned” and do not have a wedding website so I could send an email with hotel info and include an accommodations card with the invitation.
Thanks for your advice!
Post # 3
We have a lot of guests traveling, so we didn’t have a choice. Even though most of yours are nearby, I would go ahead and block one. All three hotels at which we blocked rooms would let us reserve at least 20 of them without incurring any obligation to pay for them if they weren’t used. The rates we got weren’t awesome, but they were a) lower than the prices I found for the same hotels online and b) cheaper than my venue coordinator got from the same hotels. IMO, it’s a nice convenience for your guests, so if it’s free, why not?
Post # 4
I said no, because you have so few guests that acutally need hotels. I would recommend a hotel or two for them. For most of the hotels I looked at near us, we had to reserve a minimum of 10 rooms and were required to fill at least 85% of the rooms.
Post # 5
I’ve been struggling with this same thing. We’ll probably have about 6-8 rooms on our wedding night and 3 the night before. To get a discounted rate, the hotels require at least 10 rooms per night. I think I’m just going to send out some hotel recommendations to everyone. Since a lot of people travel for work, they can choose a hotel where they get rewards.
Post # 6
We’re just doing recommendations since we won’t have very many Out of Town guests. I think the main purpose behind them is the discount, and you can’t really get that with just a few rooms :).