(Closed) Do we need a visa? Odd situation…

posted 8 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@SillySavage:  If you have canadian citizenship he shouldn’t have too much trouble obtaining residency – we were considering possibly moving to BC and were researching “how do you move to a different country”, for Canada, just last week!  I suggest checking with the canadian consulate or your government overall.   Good luck!

Post # 4
327 posts
Helper bee

are you living in us or canada now? if you are living in us now, there should be no problem as you are only getting married there. the best way is to check with the consulate and ask whether there is any spouse visa or something similar that you can apply to be a resident. also, maybe you can apply and be citizen of both countries, which will make thing easier. good luck

Post # 5
9950 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

First off “technically” you can get married in whichever of the two countries that you choose.

You being a Canadian Citizen, and him an American makes this easier than either of you coming from another country (less paperwork)

BUT the primary element is going to be WHAT IS YOUR STATUS in the USA (seeing as that is where you wish to live after your Wedding) … because even tho you two will be married in Canada.. you don’t “automatically” become a Resident of the USA… nor does he become “automatically” a Resident of Canada upon marriage.

So in order to answer your Question better we’d need to know under what circumstances are you currently living in the USA

— — —

When it comes time for you guys to move up to Canada, as a Canadian Citizen you’ll have to sponsor him thru Canadian Immigration.

— — —

And lastly… just so you know…

You have chosen to marry in the Province of Quebec… and that Province is vastly different from the rest of North America when it comes to Laws & their Legal System (they follow Civil Law… whereas the rest of the country follows Canadian Common Law).  So things can be quite a bit different… one of the greatest differences in regards to marriage is that you will not be able to change your name legally… when you apply for your Marriage License, and file (Register) your Marriage Paperwork / Certificate… it will all be in your Maiden Name, which will forever be your Legal Name (unless you process a Legal Name Change).  The fact being that within the Province of Quebec Civil Law… one has ONLY ONE NAME from birth to death.

Hope this info helps,


Post # 7
9950 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012


View original reply
SillySavage: as a Canadian Citizen, if you have dual Citizenship also with the USA, then I am not sure what you & your Hubby will have to do LEGALLY to have your marriage recognized in the USA (seeing as you’ll be gettting married in Canada).  But I do encourage you to check into that SOONER rather than later with US Immigration.

From the Canadian perspective, as the Canadian Citizen you’ll have to sponsor your Hubby here with Canadian Citizenship & Immigration = http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp when you decide to actually move here.

As well the Province of Quebec may have additional requirements for Immigration… (as I noted in an earlier post they have a whole other sort of Legal System, and function within Canada as “a nation within a nation”

So you will have to contact the Quebec Government for that info =http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

It is my understanding that your Spouce will have to meet BOTH the Federal & Provincial Requirements to reside in the Province of Quebec.

NOTE – I have read in the past that many who have considered marrying in Quebec, or immigrating there, have after reviewing all the details have decided not to (just not worth the extra hassles).  If their aim was Montreal, they’ve instead opted to meet the legal requirements of Marrying / Residing in Ontario… in that the Border between the two Provinces is quite near to the City of Montreal (less than 40 Kms aprox 30 Minutes away = Cornwall, ON or Hawkesbury, ON)

Hope this helps,


The topic ‘Do we need a visa? Odd situation…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors