(Closed) Do you care if your guests wear black to your wedding?

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Do you care if your guests wear black?
    Yes but I would not say anything : (7 votes)
    3 %
    Yes and I will tell them : (1 votes)
    0 %
    No - I am requesting that they wear black : (5 votes)
    2 %
    No I couldn't care less : (193 votes)
    91 %
    Maybe - explanation below : (5 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 40
    1827 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

No, why would I?   My mom wore black to my sister’s wedding, as did the MOG and it looked beautiful (funny enough, they actually ended up picking out the exact same dress and never realised it until 30 minutes before the ceremony when they ran into each other – it was hilarious!)   I have never given a second thought to anyone wearing black and in fact, I’ve worn black to several weddings. 

Black looks good on everyone and whilst I know some people think it looks like mourning – there is a big difference between a black mourning dress and a black cocktail or evening dress.  IMO, it’s not very hard to differentiate between the two.  

Post # 41
    7691 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I didn’t care that people wore black dresses, but at the same time I didn’t care that there were a few people who wore white dresses. I honestly didn’t even notice what people were wearing until I got our photos back! 

Post # 42
    1842 posts
    Buzzing bee

I would rather people wear something that they are comfortable and feel beautiful in  than worry about the color. Black would not be my first choice to wear to a wedding, but it wouldn’t phase me unless a majority of people were wearing it

Post # 43
    5667 posts
    Bee Keeper

No, not at all. My typical wedding wear is a LBD.

ETA: My Maid/Matron of Honor (only BM) will probably be in a LBD.

Post # 44
    893 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

@unixfairy:  For the ceremony, I would mind it but for the reception, I don’t mind.  We’re having a Hindu ceremony and I was told that you’re not allowed to wear black.

Post # 45
    1306 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I feel most comfortable in black, so I would be okay if someone wore black to my wedding.

Post # 46
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I hope lots of people wear black! It will make my dress pop even more!

In my opinion, a black dress is only a problem in these circumstances:

1. A daytime wedding 

2. Low cut, strapless, or ends at the lower ass.  

Post # 47
    7605 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I’m not sure that I would even notice, let alone care!

Post # 48
    869 posts
    Busy bee

I wear black to weddings all the time.  So do many other guests.  I really don’t care what people wear to our wedding.  I’m happy that they’re there to share the day with us, that’s all.  Well, if someone showed up in a bikini, I might be a little shocked, but other than that, it’s all good.

Post # 50
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
    @unixfairy:  That’s really weird. I would say to a friend contemplating wearing black to a day wedding, “You can wear whatever you want, but most guests will be wearing sundresses/not black because the wedding is in the daytime. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

I think that, if you explained the time of day in your question you would get a completely different set of answers. 

Post # 51
    1746 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

View original reply
    @MrsBroccoli:  I think it’s acceptable to wear black any time of day, especially if its an LBD. Just my opinion though.

The topic ‘Do you care if your guests wear black to your wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors