(Closed) Do you care what your mom or FMIL wears?

posted 9 years ago in Family
  • poll: Do you care what they wear?
    Nope, they can wear whatever they choose. : (127 votes)
    49 %
    They just cant wear any shade of white. : (111 votes)
    43 %
    They cant wear white and they must follow the color scheme. : (23 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 32
    5317 posts
    Bee Keeper

Yes, I’ll be thrown off if they show up in overalls or something. It’ll never happen, they both know how to dress well. I’m not concerned. No, their color doesn’t have to match anything…and they know not to choose solid white or black.

Post # 33
    8375 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

I definitely had a strong preference regarding both style (long, elegant, formal dress that was figure-flattering) and color (sapphire blue) for my mother’s dress, and I went shopping with her to find it.  We both absolutely loved the dress we chose!

Since my wedding colors were Caribbean Sea blue, platinum, and champagne/gold, and my mother was going to be wearing sapphire blue, I envisioned my then-future Mother-In-Law wearing a long, silver dress.  She had originally considered wearing peach, because she already had a peach dress that she could have worn, and I would have been fine with that if that’s what she decided to do.  However, I was surprised and delighted when someone actually ended up giving  her a beautiful, long, silver dress, and she decided to wear it. She looked wonderful in it!!

Post # 34
    40 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I don’t care what my mom wears at all, but boy does she!  She purchased not one, but two mother of the bride dresses because she can’t decide which she likes better.  We keep joking that she’s going to change between the ceremony and reception lol

Post # 35
    36 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: March 2015

As long as they feel beautiful & are comfortable, they can wear whatever they like!  Also, my Future Mother-In-Law is such a sweetheart who’s done SO much for me…she could show up wearing my wedding gown & I wouldn’t be the least bit upset ๐Ÿ˜›

Post # 36
    1298 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

Your mama looks pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

All four parents kept asking us what they should wear and it made me laugh (because my wedding dress cost me $35…). I just kept saying, “Y’all dress yourselves every other day so I don’t see the need to dress you for this one day.” I had to stop and really think hard about what they wore, because it definitely didn’t make any impression on me.

Oh, now that I think about it, my mom had one outfit she thought she might wear which I gently pushed her away from, but only because it just didn’t flatter her shape and she would have kept tugging on the skirt all day long. But honestly if it had been her dream outfit (it wasn’t) I would have left it alone.

Post # 37
    359 posts
    Helper bee

My mom, bless her, has always cared about coordinating outfits for family pictures – so it’s kinda her fault if I care about that one ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don’t seriously care, but hopefully we’ll have fun picking something out together.

Post # 38
    719 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I don’t care, as long their dresses aren’t white, and as long as they look classy!

Post # 39
    2674 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@MrsBeck:  I just dont understand why the MOB gets/has to pick first. Or why they need to coordinate. I mean I agree that one shouldn’t be in a ball gown while the other is in a kneelength sheath but if it happens, it happens. They aren’t in that many pics together (none that I can think of but I guess you could come up with some). Future Mother-In-Law isn’t just asking about colors. She’s also asking about what sorts of style my mom is looking for (which she doesn’t even know).

Post # 40
    125 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I prefer that they coordinate with the color scheme but I wouldn’t presume to mandate that. They’re adults and can pick their own clothes.

Post # 41
    2503 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I’ll go against the poll majority and say, “Heck yah, I cared about what the moms were wearing!” Both my mom and Mother-In-Law have, to put in bluntly, terrible taste in clothing. For example, Mother-In-Law is an uber conservative dresser and she likes to buy clothes that are 3 sizes too big or she’ll just pair funny patterns/colors together. Even DH looks at her sometimes and just wonders what the heck she is thinking. We’ve seen her pair a brown turtleneck with a cheetah-print cardigan and grey wide-leg pin-stripe pants before.

So yes, for both of them, we suggested, reviewed and approved the outfits ahead of time. We also helped the dads, though not quite as hands-on.

Post # 42
    7384 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

Whatever, as long as it’s not a shade of white. My mother…sigh, whatever. I’ve been told that Future Mother-In-Law wants to wear the ivory dress that she wore to her older son’s wedding 10 years ago. :

Post # 43
    600 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

My mom picked out a long navy gown and my Future Mother-In-Law is wearing a tea length coral dress. Neither are my wedding colors and in the end, it doesn’t matter what they wear as long as they are comfortable in their dresses. Both my mom and Future Mother-In-Law asked me what I wanted them to wear but I just told them to pick something they liked – they both are petite and I know how difficult it is to shop for petite dresses, let alone find one in the ‘right’ color!

Post # 44
    3949 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

Nope didn’t give two craps about what my Mother-In-Law wore.  She’s in her 50’s if she hasn’t figured it out yet then what was I going to say to make her do what I want? 

She looked wonderful.    My mom passed away, but for two of my brother’s weddings she looked great.  One had a huge wedding, she matched her dress to the grey tux the guys were wearing as to not outshine the bride/MOB (we’re talking Russian tea room was where the reception was) and the other was JOP and she again, not too dressy.l 

Seriously when your kid gets married you want them telling you how to dress or do you think you would have figured it out by then? 

Post # 45
    476 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

My mother actually said she was just going to wear the same shapeless black dress she has worn  to every wedding and funeral she has been to in the last ten years. I’m just like wow, my wedding isn’t even a big enough deal to warrant a new dress ๐Ÿ™

Post # 46
    1391 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Of course i care, I don’t want them to match (think that’s kinda tacky) but want them to wear complimenting colors to our bridal party.  Luckily my mom has great taste & we’re going shopping for her dress soon with my sisters so I’m not worried. Fmil is another story. She doesn’t get dressed up often, doesn’t always wear the most flattering clothes. But she asked me if we could go shopping together so she looks really good. 

The topic ‘Do you care what your mom or FMIL wears?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors