(Closed) Do you consider wedding websites tacky?

posted 11 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Wedding websites - tacky or helpful?
    Tacky and unnecessary : (23 votes)
    10 %
    Helpful and great way to provide guests with all relevant wedding info : (211 votes)
    90 %
  • Post # 31
    3974 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: February 2012

I don’t think they’re tacky at all. They’re a great place to put additional information like maps, schedule, gift registry, ectect. It’s very practical for guests.

We make websites professionally, so an awesome website was a necessity for us lol!

Post # 32
    3628 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

@ohheavenlyday: the “I, we” mix  drives me crazy too!! i didnt put any “how we met” or detailed info about us…i tried it but it just sounded wierd any way i tried…

View original reply
    @VegasSukie: people did visit our site..i sent an email to my friends and family, and i also posted it on facebook. when it gets closer to the wedding date i will probably send out another email reminding guests to find info on it. Ive had many visits, posts on our “guestbook” and general interest.

Post # 33
    3628 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

@VegasSukie: Yes polls are definitely available- they are for sure on ewedding.com, but also on others i just don’t know which ones…

Post # 34
    2152 posts
    Buzzing bee

I don’t think that they are tacky, but I don’t think they are necessary.  To me they are becoming like Save the Dates, something that you feel like you absolutely have to have. 

I don’t think there really are that many questions you could put on the website, that isn’t on the invitation.

I also agree with the previous posters who said that it is too often about the love story, and bios of the BMs and GMs, which eh, I don’t care so much about.

The wedding websites that I have been to, I looked at for about 20 seconds, saw there was nothing different from the invite (that I cared about), and that was it.  I am sure the bride and groom spent hours on making it, so I don’t think it was a good return for their time.

Post # 35
    467 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

About 2/3 of our guests come from out of town (and out of the country…) so I made a website with All the information about the wedding: hotels,how to get there, things to do around,etc. Since most, if not all the American guests have never been to France, I also included advices on what to do to get the best airfares, how to get around, this kind of thing. I really would never post anything on there about us as a couple or how we met and so on. I really doubt people care,and if they do, that’s one of those things they can ask directly. Sorry about the lack of paragraph, I am on my phone and it sucks.

Post # 36
    197 posts
    Blushing bee

Tacky? I put as much helpful info for our out of town guests as I could on the website and still got more questions! The more info you can provide for guests the better, I don’t know how that could be seen as tacky. There are all kinds of details that would be overkill in an “info” card that can help a guest’s trip go smoothly. As for the registry, I think it’s fine to have it somewhere on there as long as it’s not the main focus of the page.

Post # 37
    159 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@Hirondelle: ooh la la,  France! Can I come? 😉

I just wanted to say to everyone else, in regards to privacy I agree. I would like to build a password-protected site.

Post # 38
    821 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

@ohheavenlyday: haha oh my gosh I can’t stand it when people do that! We have some friends who did that on their website and that’s all I could focus on.

I don’t think wedding websites are tacky, but they can be annoying and overly focused on the “how we met and how in love we are” rather than just getting the helpful information out there.

Post # 38
    3423 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

I think whoever thinks they are tacky are stuck in last century.  Everything is online, yes your wedding should be online.  If anything invites should be obselete and tacky, really why waste paper and postage when you can just do it online!

I think they will become obselete in the near future.

Post # 39
    2025 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I am definitely pro-website.  Ours is pretty simple, and serves the purpose of informing our 200+ guests from out of town/out of the country with information about hotels, things to do, etc.  I see nothing wrong in putting the registry information on the site; it’s not on the invitation. 

This is also good for people who lose their invitations, or portions of them… I know I’ve lost the little information insert when too much comes in one envelope!

Post # 40
    2294 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I’m definitely pro-wedding website.  I spent a ton of time putting as much info as I could into ours and the responses I got from people were that they loved it!  My in-laws asked to share it with the rest of the family who didn’t get invitations (they are in the Netherlands and my in-laws knew they would be unable to travel to the USA for the wedding), so that they could feel like they were a part of the wedding too.  We chose to have a small section on us and how we met, mostly to segway into explaining to people in writing that we would already be married at the time of our wedding and to let them know of the immigration process and how it was going.  We also had sections on local hotels/restaurants, online RSVP, detailed info on the ceremony and reception locations, a faq section for all the miscellaneous information, photos of us through our relationship, and a section about our wedding party.  We took time to honor and thank the people who were participating in our wedding party and to thank both of our sets of parents for all the help they provided us.

Post # 44
    12305 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I dont think its tacky, but also dont think its really necessary.  I’ll usually browse through the website, read the how we met, and proposal story… and that’s about it.  I usually have the rest of the info I need elsewhere already. 

The topic ‘Do you consider wedding websites tacky?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors