(Closed) Do you cook dinner for DH every night?

posted 10 years ago in Married Life
  • poll:
    Yes : (64 votes)
    30 %
    No : (39 votes)
    18 %
    Sometimes : (75 votes)
    35 %
    He's the Chef in the house! : (36 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 91
    4038 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

Most nights. Some nights we have leftovers, and some nights I feel uber lazy and we get Chinese or a frozen pizza. 

The only thing he does is grill, because he feels manly doing it. Or something. I haven’t quite figured it out. 

Post # 92
    676 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

Like so many other bees, I’ve also created a monster. Before we lived together DH literally ate out every meal and snack of the day which means alot of fast fuit and limited fruits/veggies. He has a really high metabolism so he’s a beanpole but that’s still not healthy. I cook a few things on Sunday so that we can just reheat during the week i.e. enchiladas, lasagna, soup etc. I also make us bagels/coffee weekday mornings and pack lunches otherwise he will eat out and it’s unhealthy and expensive.

During the summer he will BBQ most nights but I still have to marinate/prep the meat and then make the sides.

Some nights we eat gourmet, some nights we eat spaghetti and jarred sauce but he doesn’t complain b/c then he’d be responsible for feeding himself.

Post # 93
    2271 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I have been cooking all the family meals since I was 11 years old. My Mother (God rest her soul) was an amazing woman but a terrible cook. I am the best cook I know, and I have many who agree with me. DH can cook but his selections are limited and tend to be less than healthful. So yes, I do all the cooking.

By The Way, Sunday brunch is the only time DH and I get to eat together in the mornings because of our vastly different work schedules. I splurge on calories for Sunday brunch. Today’s was Batter-dipped catfish (one of my favorites), oven-fried taters and onions, Mammy’s cornbread (baked in a cast-iron skillet), and a feta-chees, roasted red pepper, and mushroom omelet.

Post # 94
    5982 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

@Jerseygirl23: I feel the exact same way you do! I have created a monster for sure and in many other ways than cooking!!! When I travel for work I prepare meals for him a head of time so he just has to warm up. But easy stuff like lots of chilli or tacos or something. DH needs those step by step directions too. plus it takes him twice as long to cook. but he is a good cook. when we first started dating he cooked for me but i am just a more efficient cook. not really better just more efficient. lol I do wish he cooked for me more. He was laid off for 6 months and I only got a few dinners during that whole time 🙁 BUT he is a very creative person and spends a lot of time focusing on that. And I understand. I honestly think DH will invent something huge one day….we will see 🙂 He does help around the house in other ways though! Our routine just works for us… 

Post # 95
    483 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I do the cooking because I’m a control freak and like things done my way, less mess all around. 

I’d love for someone to cook for me, at least once in a while but if it came to it I would be freaking out.   I freak out if he gets a glass of juice or pours his own cereal. 

I know, I’m nuts but I come from an long line of OCD people and just can’t help it.  I even do the grilling and take the garbage out. 

Post # 96
    7768 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

I try to make sure he has something to eat out of courtesy because he works and goes to school- both full time.  I am much less busy.  He doesn’t expect it, however, so it isn’t something I consider a routine.  He is a great cook as well, so when he has the time he makes great things.  I would never personally feel like I had to, and he wouldn’t make me feel like that.  We are equal partners in cooking and cleaning- I just do it more right now because he is working more than I am right now.

Post # 97
    284 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Fiance usually is the one that cooks. If it is lunch or dinner I very rarely cook, but sometimes we do cook togeather. I cook breakfast a little more than i cook lunch or dinner.

Post # 98
    94 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

I cook a few times a week. At least half of the dishes I make are in large amounts so he can take portions to work for a few days. I should probably invest in a book with just casseroles in it lol. 

The topic ‘Do you cook dinner for DH every night?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors