(Closed) Do you count calories & how many do you eat in a day?

posted 8 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would look more at what you’re eating. I’m in a similar situation – I lost about 40 lbs over the course of middle school and high school – and I’ve kept it off, but still have a few problem areas I’d like to get rid of. I initially counted calories (and aimed for about 1300-1400 a day, but I’m really crazy short) but as I started to eat the right foods, I stopped needing to since my body told me when it was full. 

Now I’m working on cutting things like excess sodium, refined sugar, etc, for those extra little bits of unhealthy habits. Maybe you could look at that? I had previously cut out all pop (diet included!) meat (I’m veggie for ethical reasons, but I lost weight when I made the switch) and most baked goods that I didn’t make myself. It’s worked pretty well!

Post # 4
936 posts
Busy bee

I put on about 10 lbs after my wedding last August and starting not fitting into my clothes and such. 

So I found My Daily Plate at Livestrong.com to start counting calories.  It lets you input your current weight and weight goals to determine the target amount of daily caloric intake.  It also has a daily food tracker (which allows you to look up tons of different foods – homemade, store-bought and restaurant) so you can track the calories that you put into your mouth.  It’s been really good for me as I tend to forget what I eat as the day goes on.  I’ve lost 15 lbs since Jan.  My weight loss goal is 2 lbs per week so it limits my calories to 1158 per day. It doesn’t sound like much, but I eat a lot of little meals during the day so I’m never really hungry.  Good luck!

Post # 5
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m 5 nothing and vary between 98-103 pounds depending on the time of month and how dedicated to my eating I am. Generally speaking I eat between 1250-1500 calories a day.

It is funny but some days I find it hard to even get up that high! Like Lilyfaith, I think that is because of the type of foods I eat. I like to eat low cal, low fat, nutrient dense foods. Lots of chicken breasts and turkey (my tummy does not agree with red meat), whole grains, healthy fats (I love my natural peanut butter, sunflower seeds, etc.), and nonfat dairy. When you start cutting out all the processed junk from your diet you will find that you can actually eat a LOT more and keep your calorie count much lower.

And of course as I’m typing this I am devouring a box of Tagalong Girl Scout Cookies πŸ™‚

Post # 6
639 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

there is no magic caloric intake that works for everyone.  2000 calories may be maintenance for some, but i know if i ate that many i would gain a lot of weight.  i usually eat around 1200-1300 calories a day, but i’m really short and tiny and thats what it takes to maintain my weight at my current fitness level.  like lilyfaith said, what you’re eating is very important as well.  If you are going to restrict your caloric intake to help weight loss, then you really need to make those calories count – they should be full of the good stuff, vitamins and minerals, and low on the bad stuff like saturated or trans fats and sugar.  the healthy calories leave you feeling fuller longer as well (unlike super sugary things where you eat them, and then 1/2 hour later are hungry again).

That’s my two cents.  your daily caloric input for maintenance or weight loss will depend on your current weight and how active you are.

Post # 8
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’m terrified to think about how many calories I consume on a normal day.  My office caters all of our meals in addition to having a fully stocked kitchen with every sort of snack, candy or cereal you could possibly want.  No matter how hard I try it’s REALLY hard to watch what I eat.  Just because I like them more, I eat a mainly vegetarian diet (~75%), but most restaurant veggies are still coated in oils, and that pesto mayo on the veggie wrap is not likely to be light-mayo based.  Even the egg whites are grilled on a skillet with butter!  I run 3 mi each morning and walk 1.5 mi each way to work.  While I do this in part to stay healthy, I also do it to keep myself from blowing up at work.  I’m the only person in the world that LOSES weight when I got home for Christmas.  I can do nothing but shovel cookies in my mouth from Xmas Eve to New Years, and I still eat less than my reguarl M-F work week.  If I had to guess, I’d say I consume between 2000-2500/day and burn 500-600/day working out which keeps me at between 125-130 for my 5’7″ frame.

Post # 9
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Just a quick suggestion – you’re making great changes! I know cereals like Special K and bars like Kashi are quick, easy fixes, but I’ve found that food with real nutritional “pow!” keeps me going more – i.e., an apple with peanut butter instead of the cereal bar, and an egg & whole wheat toast instead of Special K. 

Post # 10
116 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I use myfooddiary.com to track calories.  I have it set up so that it tells me how many calories to eat per day to lose the amount of weight I want to by a certain time.  It also tells me how many calories each day to maintain weight.  Its $9 per month, but I love it.  It has a great food database so that you do not have to have the nutritional information.  I also heard of a similar website that is free, myfatsecret.com, but I’ve never used it.  As for getting/staying motivated, I don’t have too much advice on that.  I have a hard time as well.  I am still about 10 lbs away from my goal weight, but I am happy with where I am now, so its hard to keep going. 

Post # 12
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i think you could look into your breakfast a bit more. special k really doesn’t fill me up at all and i feel like when you eat breakfast then you’re hungry again by 10am it gets you in a “i’m dieting and thus hungry all the time” mind mode and you can’t think about anything but eating all day. Or maybe thats just me. πŸ™‚ 

Anyways… I am way too lazy to make eggs in the morning but what I’ve been eating lately that actually really fills me up until lunch is 1 cup of kashi go lean crunch (lots of fiber!) mixed together with 1 cup danon light and fit strawberry yogurt. It looks a little gross, but it tastes like dessert and it really keeps me full!

Post # 13
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

@twalia: I hear you on the eating healthy at work part. I go to school full time and work three days a week at an after school program. Part of our job is to feed the kids snack. However, because we operate out of a classroom on campus all of our snacks are prepackaged from Smart & Final (cheeze-its, ritz, wheat thins, fruit snacks, etc.). I try to bring my own healthy snack but it is sooo hard not to give in to temptation and eat what they are eating.

@okqueenbee: for a quick breakfast I make a half cup oatmeal with 1 cup skim milk instead of water. It fills me up (lots of protein and fiber) and still keeps my calorie count low.

Post # 15
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Just as a suggestion, you could cut back on your carbs/increase your protein intake and it will feel like you’re eating more without getting more calories.  Right now, my husband is doing P90X, and he literally cannot force down all the food on their 1800 calorie high-protein diet.  He’s doing about 1600 calories a day because that’s all he can stomach…  And he is not a small guy (6’3″, currently weighs 220).  πŸ™‚  I don’t think all their recipes taste great, but if you made a few changes based on their suggestions (more protein for breakfast, protein bar or shake for snack, etc…) you might see a difference. 

Post # 16
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

@okqueenbee: with peanut butter make sure you are getting the all natural/no sugar added kind. (The only ingerdient on the ingredient list is peanuts). Also, I’ve learned to measure out 1/2 tablespoon before I use it, its a lot more than you think! I use 1/2T pb with 10 sticks of celery (about 4″) and it is plenty for a snack, while only being 50cal, 4g of (healthy) fat.

The topic ‘Do you count calories & how many do you eat in a day?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors