(Closed) Do you ever call out from work?

posted 10 years ago in Career
  • poll: Do You Ever Call Out?
    Every once in a while : (51 votes)
    61 %
    NEVER! : (11 votes)
    13 %
    Only when I'm really sick : (22 votes)
    26 %
  • Post # 17
    25 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I do because my work only gives us one per quarter and if we dont use them, we loose them. So if I dont actually get sick that quarter, I take a “mental health day”.

Post # 18
    3563 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I hardly ever do…I feel way too guilty! I”ve been working for my current job for about a year and a half and have taken one sick day and one personal day. But I’m forcing myself to buck up and take a few days before the wedding for my sanity.

Post # 19
    2857 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

At my old job, I used to call out “sick” all the time – it was a horrible place to work.

At my current job, I rarely do, for several reasons. First of all, when you take an unscheduled day off, the work piles up SO MUCH that it’s barely worth it to do so. Also, we have laptops that we take home, so even if we’re sick, we’re usually doing some work from home. When I’m sick, I usually do about 75% of the work I’d do on a regular day – I just do it in my PJ’s and take mini naps in between calls.

But my job is really good about letting you take scheduled time off whenever you want. Last Thursday, I decided I wanted to take Friday off, and it was fine with my boss.

Post # 20
    11324 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

In old jobs I used to all the time. In this one I really dont for two reasons. 1) I work from home a lot so even if I’m sick… I’m working. I’d have to be REALLY sick to be incapable of using a laptop. 2) My boss is really nice. If I want a day off, I take a day off. I don’t have to lie about it. 🙂

Post # 21
    372 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

View original reply
    @Statutory Grape: or, “the runs.” Hahaha! (In theory anyway; I’ve never actually called in to work and said that, but I’ll bet they wouldn’t ask questions!)

I usually schedule my mental health days; I know when I’m going to need one. I also take days off every now and then to run errands, but they are scheduled and vacation days, not sick days.

But yes, I have called in. I try not to do it more than twice a year or so. But I accrue 2 vacay days and 1 sick day each month, so I kind of have a lot.

Post # 22
    120 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

they give me time off, i’m taking it.  done and done.

luckily i work at the kind of place where they don’t care if you’re actually sick or what you’re doing.  i’m pretty sure “man, my band had a gig last night and that’s why i’m late” is a perfectly acceptable excuse.

Post # 23
    2867 posts
    Sugar bee

I don’t do it very often, most of the time it’s because I’m having a severe IBS episode (agony) or a legitimate migraine.

Post # 24
    6659 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

At my old job, I had 15 vacation days and ‘unlimited’ sick days, so I used to call out every once in a while when I needed a mental health day. It was an awful place to work so I probably did this at least once a month. I didn’t fool anyone, they totally knew I wasn’t sick and called me out on it in a passive aggressive way. Looking back, it probably negatively affected my raise and bonus also.

At my current job I have never done this and don’t plan on ever doing it unless it’s REALLY necessary. The vacation is different, we have PTO days that are used for everything except jury duty and funeral leave so if I call out it takes away from my PTO. Plus, I LOVE my job, it isn’t stressful and believe it or not I’d rather be here than sitting alone in my apartment (obviously unless I was legitimately sick). And like others, if I call out the work just piles up so I might as well come in. And one last point, my managers are awesome and wouldn’t care if on Thursday I said I was taking a PTO day Friday, so I don’t ever feel trapped.

Post # 25
    1288 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - Indiana Memorial Union

I have 15 pto days a year and that’s my vacation AND sick leave. So I really don’t want to call off unless I’m deathly ill.

Post # 26
    2865 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Yes! Mental health days are the BEST. I rarely get sick and I hate that my co. divides days into “personal” “vacation” & “sick” – if I don’t get sick I get 5 less days off work than someone else (yes, I get that they are sick and not having a good time, but there’s no reward for me being around the extra 5 days).

My previous company would just give you x number of “days off” so you had to budget them yourself (i.e. if you get sick alot – you’d keep more days for that, if you rarely get sick you could use an extra couple days for vacation).

Post # 27
    285 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

i wish i could some days, but with constant short staffing, there would be no one to cover for me and since i’m responsible for taking care of animals i really just can’t leave them hanging… 

Post # 28
    3176 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

My job is unnecessary, so if I take a day off no one really notices 🙂 If I mention before I leave that I think I’m coming down with something my boss will usually tell me to take the next day off. This is a complete 180 from my last job where you had to be there no matter what! I had a 104 degree fever and asked to leave and my boss said it wasn’t possible. I worked with infants. That is a job I do not miss.

Post # 30
    510 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

sometimes you need a personal day!!! I don’t do it very often, but once every few months it’s just time to do it!

Post # 31
    91 posts
    Worker bee

Once I did it and convinced my Boyfriend to do it too. We layed out by the pool and had an awesome day (I did feel a little guilty), now we always have to talk each other out of doing it agian.

The topic ‘Do you ever call out from work?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors