(Closed) Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+

posted 4 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Do you feel guilty for treating yourself?
    yes : (88 votes)
    35 %
    No : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself! It's your money. : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself with big purchases once a year : (34 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 76
    146 posts
    Blushing bee

ohnatto:  let’s be real.. when you add the word “wedding” to something it becomes grossly overpriced.. I doubt the “materials/work” add up to being so much more fair for a wedding. Is $700 for a wedding cake reasonable? Or $1,000 for invitations (that people end up throwing away!) – sorry, I don’t think so.. but whatever helps you justify yourself! 

Post # 78
    5889 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

LovesBeingAMrs:  Expensive purses aren’t appealing to me so I guess I would feel guilty (or just bad about not spendign my money on something that improves my happiness/life). 

When it comes to luxuries, I think the key is just to set a budget.  Decide how much you are comfortable spending on these things in a year, then stick to that budget.  The key is to keep your spending concious and not let it get out of hand.  Sometimes people get into a bad cycle of saying “I can afford this” or “it’s only x% of my income” and they don’t realize they are doing it too often.  

As long as you’re keeping it reasonable, I don’t think there is any use in feeling guilty.  If you do feel guilty, I think it’s worth asking yourself why.

Post # 79
    889 posts
    Busy bee

ohnatto:  I never thought you were being an “asshole” – not a term I use for people and I thought your opinion was very well stated in your first post!  Like I said before, I personally get a lot of value from different view points that constructively challenge my own!

Love it.

Post # 80
    3611 posts
    Sugar bee

bnvw882:  I totally agree with your point about purses from certain brands holding their value. There are so many pre-owned Chanel and Hermes bags being sold on websites and in high-end consignment stores, and the resale prices are high enough that the original owner is probably recouping a significant portion of what they paid, even taking into account the website or store’s profit. The trend of crazy price hikes makes this even more likely, IMO.

Post # 81
    511 posts
    Busy bee

No, I don’t feel guilty. I also DGAF what anyone thinks of me, especially faceless people on the internet. I talk about it on purseforum where people “get” it, just like people on here “get” spending money on weddings. My current bag was $5k, I use it every single day and love it, and smile every time I pick it up. Brides on here spend $5k on a dress they will wear once.  

Post # 82
    998 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2015 - City Hall!

I would not buy them for myself but as presents I don’t feel guilty. Thats the point of a present. 

Post # 83
    209 posts
    Helper bee

I can’t bring myself to do it, even though I want one… but we’re working on a pretty major housing project so its hard for me to spend the extra money knowing that wells fargo owns my ass!

Post # 84
    893 posts
    Busy bee

you know what, I was about to submit a big rant about not getting why anybody would spend that money on a purse and blah blah blah. 

but then I looked over and remembered my new Eames lounge chair, and the overwhelming thrill I felt when we bought it. so yes, I suppose I do totally get it. 

Post # 85
    209 posts
    Helper bee

sporkette:  ditto.  I have a 10 year old coach bag that I carry every day, but we have a 2m house sooooo I guess it’s different strokes, right?

Post # 86
    385 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

People can do whatever they want with their money…

But personally, I wouldn’t feel guilty. I’d feel like an effing moron.

Post # 88
    4029 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I USED to spend G notes on bags and shoes when I was working a ton and still living home with my parents, now I have a mortgage and can’t afford to do that anymore 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩 but if I could I would!!M

Post # 89
    4245 posts
    Honey bee

I’m not really into purses but I’m a VIB Rouge at Sephora so needless to say, I don’t feel guilt about treating myself. Haha! 

Post # 90
    13 posts
    Newbee

LovesBeingAMrs:  I think this is a really hard question. There are so many people who have so little, I always feel bad spending extravagantly. But I also think wanting nice things is pretty understandable. I don’t personally care at all about things like purses and shoes, but I spend money on other frivolous things. I think, like most things in life, it comes down to finding balance. If you get a lot of enjoymlent out of a 1500 dollar purse, then go ahead and get one every now and then. Then step back, realize how incredibly lucky you are, and donate 1500 dollars to an animal shelter or an organization for domestic abuse survivors or whatever feels important to you. You dont have to deprive yourself to be a good person, but i think we should all try to give back as much as possible (monetarily or otherwise). 

The topic ‘Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors