(Closed) Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+

posted 4 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Do you feel guilty for treating yourself?
    yes : (88 votes)
    35 %
    No : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself! It's your money. : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself with big purchases once a year : (34 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 91
    213 posts
    Helper bee

LovesBeingAMrs:  I think you can choose a few frivolous things to spend money on so long as you stay within your budget.  For me, I don’t spurlge too much much on handbags (my biggest splurge was a fossil bag that has served as my everyday bag for two years).  What I do spend a somewhat rediculous amount on is high quality camping and backpacking gear.  I use it, I love it and I can afford it.  It makes me happier.  Likewise, if LV handbags make you feel good, go for it.

Post # 92
    619 posts
    Busy bee

bnvw882:  Hot dog!! Can you share a picture?!?!?!

Post # 93
    4029 posts
    Honey bee

I could afford a $1,500 purse fairly easily, but I wouldn’t buy it. However, I don’t really value purses. My nicest purse is a Coach purse Darling Husband bought me for valentine’s 2 years ago at the outlet store for $110 (regular $400). That seemed like a lot of money, lol, because I don’t own any other purses. But I love it. 

I would however, consider spending $1,500 easily on a week long vacation like a last minute cruise or trip to Mexico. We have done that a few times in the last few years and no regrets. We love travel though. Other than that, we don’t buy very many things over $1,000 with the exception of a TV or furniture.

Post # 94
    7905 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Purses have never been my thing, but if you can afford designer bags in addition to the rest of your life, I don’t think it’s a big deal. You’re keeping the designer bag industry alive!

Post # 95
    1995 posts
    Buzzing bee

Meh, I don’t really see the point. I’m not a big designer bag girl.

Post # 96
    2251 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

LovesBeingAMrs:  Effy jewelry is like LeVian, but way better and more fun.  This ring I’m stalking  to buy currently  these earrings i almost bought for wedding,  but decided against spending 3k because i already spent 2k on my dress at that time.  I’m still gonna get them eventually these items are just drool  worthy  

Post # 97
    882 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

I’m a shoes and bags kind of girl. While my budget is a little lower, I do like to splurge every once and a while. Sometimes I feel a little guilty because the money could be used for “better” things. But Darling Husband never makes me feel bad and sometimes encourages it, because he knows my obsession. All within our means of course. 

Recently I got a new pair of doc martens. Haven’t bought a bag In awhile because my last one still looks new, and I got it on sale with the match wallet from MK for $375 (Black, all leather with brass trim!) 

Post # 99
    6450 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 1997

I firmly believe that everyone has their “thing”. Some people collect antiques; some people travel; some people buy all the newest technology; some people are into cars; some people spend incredible amounts on cooking supplies and gadgets; some people adore jewelry; some people are education addicts (purely for pleasure and not to further a career), etc. In other words, we almost all indulge (within our means) on SOMETHING. Why would you feel guilty if your thing is purses? You are well aware you could spend the money on other things, but they would not give you the same satisfaction. Who is to say that one indulgence is “worth it” while another is not?

FWIW, I love jewelry and travel and split my disposable income about evenly between the two. I recently bought a nicer car than I’ve had in the past, too. I absolutely do not feel guilty, as we have our bases covered financially. I would never short the important things to buy luxuries, and it sounds like you don’t, either. Buy what you love; it is none of anyone else’s business.

Post # 103
    1890 posts
    Buzzing bee

It’s funny how you can think, “Oh, I could never spend so much money on that, it would make me sick” at one time in your life, and then later on, when you’re making a higher salary, it really is easy to get used to spending more money! So, no, if I had the money to buy a $1000+ handbag, I don’t think it would bother me, but it wouldn’t be something I did every day, either. I’m also not very into brand names; I don’t like LV because I’m not into giving a company money so I can advertise for them.

Post # 104
    2110 posts
    Buzzing bee

I think if you have the money and want the bag you should do it – life is short. 

I find my big purchases are experiences – fancy dinners, high class hotels etc. I’ll easily spend $400 for dinner but um and ah spending $40 on a bag. 

Post # 105
    334 posts
    Helper bee

I didn’t used to but now I have children I guess my priorities have changed slightly.

I invest my money on private education and mulitple holidays/experiences for them, so yes I feel a bit guilty when I spend a lot of money on myself. 

The topic ‘Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors