(Closed) Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+

posted 4 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Do you feel guilty for treating yourself?
    yes : (88 votes)
    35 %
    No : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself! It's your money. : (64 votes)
    26 %
    Treat yourself with big purchases once a year : (34 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 121
    209 posts
    Helper bee

tessadub:  It’s all about the illusion of being rich, not ACTUALLY being rich (because, hello, who would spend $XXXX on XX?! That’s INSANE. I just want to look like I spend that much!)

Post # 122
    313 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2017 - The Olmsted

I would feel guilty buying a bag for that much. Only because I could care less about the brand and all that. The last bag I bought was patricia nash leather purse. It was on clearance at tj maxx for like $100. I wear my purse until  looks bad. I don’t have different bags for different seasons. I’m just not into fashion. Now I would easily drop thousands on jewelry and vacations and not feel guilty one bit! Everyone has their own priorities, I find nothing wrong with people spending their money however they want.  Going into debt for designer items or anything not a necessity, that I would feel beyond guilty about.

But, what do I know! I’m not a brand person! 

Post # 123
    521 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2016

When I was younger I would only use designer bags (LV was my fave), but now I feel guilty spending money in general. I just bought a tote for about $100 that was originally about $170… It took me a full day to commit to that purchase.

The older I get the less I care about clothing, shoes, and bags. In fact, I just donated four bags of clothing to the Salvation Army. The one thing I will not skimp on is make up. My skin is so sensitive that I don’t even risk purchasing cheaper make up anymore…

Post # 124
    1184 posts
    Bumble bee

I wouldn’t be able to spend that much on any clothing item. It totally goes against my upbringing etc. Even if I had that kind of money (I could probably do it once a year on my salary at the moment), I’d not want to. 

I’d rather spend my money on a nice house and home improvements, savings for children, nest egg for a rainy day etc  

It sounds awful but when I see people carrying around stupidly expensive designer purchases, I do make small judgements about whether i’d see myself being friends with them. I’d think we’re too different. 

Post # 125
    6273 posts
    Bee Keeper

tessadub:  a very interesting question! 

Post # 126
    4238 posts
    Honey bee

pcosbee:  

Moissies vs. Diamonds isn’t about looking rich. Maybe it’s about having some of the trappings of wealth, but “looking rich” is a common misconception. For example, I have a diamond ring that I bought 2nd hand from someone who was unloading it and a moissy ring purchased retail. Neither ring can represent our financial position. 

For the thread question: I don’t feel “guilty” about my indulgences until I overindulge. It’s rather handy that my stomach starts sending me discomfort signals long before I become nauseated. I rather wish that my wallet could send me similar warnings. lol

Post # 127
    1703 posts
    Bumble bee

I would rather “look” poor, than “be” fake…

Post # 128
    1711 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

If it’s what I wanted, nope, I would not feel guilty about it. As long as you aren’t in debt over your purchases, and you can pay your bills, it’s all good. You only live once after all. 

Post # 129
    209 posts
    Helper bee

NFLwidow:  I don’t understand your point.  Do you mean that you bought a cheaper diamond but you’re actually wealthy or that your retail moissy means you are rich or poor or…what?

Post # 130
    87 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

ohnatto:  unless you’re giving all your disposable income away to those in need, I don’t think you have a leg to stand on.

Post # 131
    486 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

LovesBeingAMrs:  I’m a super practical person, and as such, I’ve never splurged on a bag for myself!  My bf has observed this, and so he has splurged on designer hand bags for me as gifts. 😀

Post # 132
    688 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

I’m inclined to think that as long as you’re caught up on your financial obligations, then why not splurge a little on things that bring you pleasure? The idea of a thousand dollars or more for a purse would definitely never cross my mind (I really dgaf about most material posessions–I roll my eyes when I imagine spending more than $300 on an engagement ring, let alone a purse or pair of shoes, but I have no judgment for people who like those things. It’s just not my jam), but I’m about as careless as I can afford to be about dropping money for an impromptu roadtrip, or tickets to go visit a friend across the country or occasionally popping off to Berlin or getting someone a crazy present when I should really be paying for my car registration. We’ve all got our favorite indulgences, and we all indulge proportionally to our means and proclivities, but, honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with indulgence, or think any indulgence is worse than another. (Well, except heroin. Don’t indulge on heroin. Any legal indulgence is cool, though.)

Post # 133
    4238 posts
    Honey bee

pcosbee:  

My post was just taking issue with your saying that wearing moissanite is all about the illusion of being rich. I used my 2nd hand diamond and retail moissy as an example of two rings that can’t clue someone in on my financial standing. Moreover, I (along with many others) did not get a moissy (or a diamond) so that I could “look rich”. I got them to commemorate a life event and/or I just wanted it. This is similar to the posters here in the thread who get $1K purses. Treating oneself to an indulgence does not equate to trying to look rich. That was my point.

Post # 134
    1277 posts
    Bumble bee

Zero guilt. I enjoy my bags and I have a bit of everything. (from random vintage/Etsy/Ebat finds, to Oryany, to Chloe and Hermes etc.) I used to obsess heavily and look at the bag-fan sites/forums a lot but I’ve calmed down.

Post # 135
    1065 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: South Lodge. 2nd of Dec 2017

Guilt none if I like it I buy it, my Hermes bag was a little indulgent but I really like the bag. My bags range from 50 £ to considerably more, now if your buying it and you can’t afford it, then yes you should feel guilty.  I spend only what I can afford, I also feed the homeless and donate to my monthly charities, the most important thing for me is to be grateful for my life and the way I get to live it.

The topic ‘Do you feel guilty for buying designer bags? $1,000+’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors