(Closed) Do you get regular manicures? Can I see them?

posted 10 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: What do you have done to your nails?
    Regular manicure : (17 votes)
    26 %
    Gel polish : (10 votes)
    15 %
    Acrylic or other type of "fake nails" : (9 votes)
    14 %
    Nada! : (30 votes)
    45 %
  • Post # 18
    71 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I used to get pink and white done but now I’m a nurse and fake nails definitely do not work with my profession. I have to keep them short and plain. I wash my hands way too much to keep up with polish.

Post # 19
    3134 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I don’t regularly get my nails done, but I liked the look that I got for my e-pics.  It was an opaque light pink and still looked kind of natural.

Post # 20
    173 posts
    Blushing bee

I alternate between doing my own and getting manicures. I can polish my own nails pretty well, but can’t trim the dead skin etc by myself, so I get that done as a maintenance thing and fix my own polish in between times.

I get shellac fairly regularly too, but it’s quite a bit more expensive than a regular mani. Also, even though wear-wise I can easily get at least 3 weeks out of a shellac, my nails grow quite fast and so I end up with obvious nail regrowth. In the pics below, the purple polish is shellac Rock Royalty after 7 days, and the nude is shellac Cocoa which I just had done about 30 mins ago. I have pics of a couple other colours that I can dig out if anyone is interested πŸ™‚

This last one (sorry for the randomness of the pic) is one of my own polish jobs, using Rimmel 60 second in Coralicious. I am consistently impressed with these new Rimmel colours. A couple of years ago the quality and polish consistency was absolutely crap, but now they’re really good and the brush shape is fab. I use Rimmel Lycra pro on my toes as well, and it lasts really well. I think…gasp…for the price, Rimmel is better than OPI. That’s right… I said it ._. hehehhe

Post # 21
    Bee
    5496 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011 - Sydney, Australia

I’m still suffering from a bad manicure (I had acrylics on for the wedding) where they used the drill too far and I have the WORST ridges in my nails. It’s been almost five months and they are still ruined.

Post # 22
    173 posts
    Blushing bee

Oh, and as far as wear-and-tear goes… I work in a clinical job, so I have gloves on and off all day and I wash my hands a lot! I have found that if you moisturise your hands through the day you get better wear out of shellac πŸ™‚

(just so I don’t sound like a total advert, I have had one crappy shellac job where my thumb nail-polish lifted and peeled off at about day 4. And it was bright red. Not impressed. Luckily I had a regular polish that matched pretty well, so I just ended up re-doing that nail, but I was pretty pissed)

Post # 23
    81 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I just bought the Red Carpet Nail profucts at Ulta a few weeks ago.  It is an at home LED gel nail polish system.  I have only used it once but it lasted me two weeks and there was no chipping and it was super pretty and shiny the while time!  I only just took it off after the two weeks because of the regrowth.  I totally recommend it! It cost me about $50 for all the starter products and then $10 per bottle of the gel nail polish that comes in tons of pretty colors. If it continues to work as well as the first time I used it (which I don’t see why it wouldn’t) it will be well worth the cost!

Post # 25
    53 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I’ve been a tomboy all my life – the few times I do try to paint my fingernails it looks like a 5 year old did it. I can never grow my nails long because I am always working with my hands. If I do paint my nails, it always chips off within a day or two.

For my wedding, I decided I wanted a professional manicure for my big day. There was a huge language barrier between myself and the nail technician, lots of nodding and smiling on my part. I found out later that what I had done was shellac – over my real nails – pink with white tips.

I LOVED the look on my nails. It was just so clean and crisp and it made me feel really put together and pretty. I could not believe it lasted 2+ weeks. Funny thing – I went back and got them done again, and I think this will be a regular thing for me now, I just love how it looks!

Post # 26
    586 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I got a regular manicure when I went for a job interview over the summer and I loved it so much, I’ve gone back a handful of times (maybe once a month).  In between, I file and paint at home but it always looks SO MUCH BETTER when I have them done. How are they so good?

I swear by Essie polishes; they’re made for natural nails (many polishes are designed for acrylics) and come in the prettiest colors!  My at-home manicures last about 5 days and I usually push it to 7, but the last couple days I’m always chipped. I’m also impatient about letting it dry properly.

Post # 27
    1384 posts
    Bumble bee

i’m also a nail biter so i used to do the pink and white or acrylics. i’ve been getting my nails done regularly for the last several months and am happy to report after 4 weeks with acrylics, took them off and did a shellac in a dark gray for 2 weeks, i’m now rocking a french tip shellac on my REAL NAILS for the first time ever! no more nail biting for me!!!

First pic is my first shellac, and the second pic is what my nails are now.

The topic ‘Do you get regular manicures? Can I see them?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors