(Closed) Do you have a passport? – Poll for US bees only, everyone else welcome to chat

posted 8 years ago in Travel
  • poll: US bees only - Do you have a passport
    Yes, I have a passport : (245 votes)
    85 %
    No, I don't have a passport : (43 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 137
    4618 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2018

I met someone the other day who didn’t have a passport… That was weird…  British bee here so didn’t vote.

Post # 138
    10713 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

I didn’t have a passport until recently for our honeymoon. I never got one because I dont like to fly and I really dont have a huge desire to leave the US. My favorite places are here, and so many places I haven’t seen yet!

Post # 139
    3941 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Yes, I’ve had one since I was 10. People who have no desire to travel outside of the country scare me!  Haha

Post # 141
    130 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I’m still in college and never had a reason to hold a passport until I met my fiance and he’s from New Zealand and thoght if I would ever like to visit him I’d have to give in and get one. After he came to the US over five times and twice in one year I finally bought a passport and got a visa and now I live and work in Australia with my fiance.

I’m the only person in my whole family (plus extended) that holds a passport- we don’t really see the need to hold one- if we want to travel start travelling the US – so much to see and do and very diverse.

Post # 142
    130 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
    @GreenEyedMoon:  Geez, what country did you get a visa for? I have a visa for Australia and it’s nothing a pretty- looks just like a port of entry stamp

Post # 143
    10713 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

coul 

View original reply
    @SpecialSundae:  

my Fiance once asked that too… So we visited new places that I loved but came nowhere close to my favorite places. They are my favorites because of childhood memories and such. 🙂

I know ill make new memories too but I think I’d be extremely tense visiting another country especially with my fear of flying and I wouldnt be able to fully enjoy it anyway. I haven’t even seen the whole east coast yet and I live on the east coast… After that I want to see the west coast and that would require a lot of time and money so it’ll take years maybe my entire life to see all 50 states. I guess that all has a ton to do with not really wanting to go elsewhere. I am going to the Bahamas on my honeymoon cruise though.

Post # 144
    2085 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Do you think this has something to do with many Americans not traveling abroad? 

Post # 145
    1401 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I’ve had a passport since i was a kid… My parents worked in Peru, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia… and then when I got older, I lived/worked in Indonesia, studied in Thailand… I’ve visited countries all over Asia, Latin America, and Europe. I now live in London because I married to a Brit. I am also a travel junkie: I go somewhere new whenever I can.

Living in the UK, it would be crazy to not have a passport. The country is small, and it is so stinking cheap and geographically close to go visit another country. Distance makes a difference… it’s 300 miles longer to drive from Chicago to LA than from London to St. Petersburg, for example. I know a lot of British people who scoff at no-passport Americans, but the furthest they’ve ever travelled is Majorca. That’s like flying from New York to Orlando.

I don’t really think it’s fair to judge Americans for not traveling overseas–I don’t think I know anyone who wouldn’t go overseas if they could; it just isn’t easy financially, especially since US dollars are worth so much less than pounds or Australian dollars. And then there’s the distance/time off ratio. On average, Americans get HALF the paid time off that British employees get (many people I know only get 2 weeks per year in their stateside jobs, whilst in the UK the average is more like a month), and it sucks to spend 3 days of those 2 weeks on a plane and/or recovering from jet lag.

Don’t get me wrong–I think it’s sad that many Americans don’t experience the world and other cultures, but seriously, how many Brits would have passports if other countries weren’t few hours’ drive (or a cheap flight) away, especially if their holiday time was cut in half and their money lost a third of its value? A ticket may cost the same price both ways across the Atlantic, but it’s a lot more affordable to pay for it when you’re earning money in pounds.

Post # 147
    2203 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Yes I have a passport, I can’t imagine not having travel experience! No travel experience seems foreign to me. I’m not trying to judge, I just love exploring new cultures and places, why wouldn’t people choose to travel if they could?

Post # 148
    279 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I’m from Australia and I don’t have a passport. I’d desperately love to travel as I’m a huge history and politics nerd but we simply cannot afford to travel. Not for the next 5, 10 years.

Post # 149
    2031 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I have one, but I didn’t get it until I was 30 and ONLY then because we had booked a vacation to the Dominican Republic.  Before that I could afford to leave the country, so spending the money on a passport when I might not ever be able to afford to use it just didn’t make sense.  Now that I have it, I am envisioning all of the places Fiance and I can travel to now, before they expire.  I want to get my moneys worth!

Post # 150
    2031 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
    @Treejewel19:  Sad that you’ll need a new one, but it’s funny how it expires the same month you get married…like you’re starting a clean slate as a married woman!  I kinda like that Wink

Post # 151
    1474 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011 - Bent Creek Winery (Livermore, California); Reception: Family Residence (San Ramon, California)

Gah, I just have an expired passport and desperately need to get it renewed!

The topic ‘Do you have a passport? – Poll for US bees only, everyone else welcome to chat’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors