(Closed) Do you have a passport? – Poll for US bees only, everyone else welcome to chat

posted 8 years ago in Travel
  • poll: US bees only - Do you have a passport
    Yes, I have a passport : (245 votes)
    85 %
    No, I don't have a passport : (43 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 122
    672 posts
    Busy bee

I have my passport, but my mother doesn’t. To be honest, travel abroad is just too expensive for her. When she does save up money for a nice trips, there are so many diverse places she can see in the U.S. for less money. She’s not against the idea of traveling internationally, but she’s not swimming in money to see what she can here in this country and see everything in other countries, too.

She is going to get her passport this month though. She thinks it would be handy as a supplemental photo ID, and she wants the option to travel more now that she’s approaching retirement. It will probably only be to Canada, but she wants the option.

Post # 123
    1340 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I didn’t get one until the government changed their rules on border crossing with Canada. As my father is Canadian and I lived on the border (ish), we went back and forth a couple times a year. Since my family didn’t travel internationally, other than Canada there was no need. I got my passport sixish years ago and use it all the time when I travel and cruise because it’s way faster to get through Customs.

Post # 124
    2521 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

No, sadly.  However, I do plan on getting it.  My Fiance does, he’s been to Europe twice.

Post # 125
    444 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I didn’t have one until I wanted to go to Australia, now I will always have one no matter what since my fiance’s family is all in Australia :3

I didn’t really have enough money to go as far away as any of the places I wanted to visit before (Ireland, Australia, Japan etc) so I just never felt the need to get one before.  Also there are plenty of sights to see in the US, which I can always roadtrip to (cheaper and more fun than flying).  The US really does have a lot to see, lots of wonderful places you don’t need a passport for, but it didn’t have my honey and that’s why I got one hehe.  I’m sure I would have gotten one eventually just to visit one of my dream vacation spots!

Post # 126
    369 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I have one..  Never used it but hope to for a honeymoon.  I got it a few years back in hopes of a vacation but we bought a house insted.

Post # 127
    388 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Yes, I got mine years ago.  We love going on cruises, so we had to get ours eventually for that.  I also spent 6 weeks in Chile and Argentina in 2007 and we will hopefully visit Canada soon!  We want to see the world! 

Post # 128
    8734 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

I have had a passport for as long as I can remember. 

When I was growing up travel was very important.

Just some of the trips I’ve done so far:

I went to Australia from CA with my choir in 7th grade. 

Did a tour of Europe in 8th grade. 

Went to Italy with my family when I was a sophomore in college

Spent 6 weeks in Costa Rica studying abroad

Belize twice (once with my family and once with my horseback riding team in college)

I had to go to India for work on a *very* last minute trip and it would have been bad for my career if I hadn’t had a passport at the time. I literally had less than 1 week to get a visa. 

I’ve been to France with DH’s family.

DH and I took our first vacation by ourselves to the Bahamas.

We spent our mini-moon in Canada

Went to Africa on our Honeymoon and now live in the UK.

DH may have to go to Thailand for work (I’d go with him) but I’m not sure I haven enough pages left in my passport for a visa and the stamps. I may have to make a last minute trip to the home office here in the UK for extra pages!

The experiences I have had traveling have been amazing. I have learned so much about other people, cultures, areas, etc. Traveling internationally does AMAZING things for your world view. I know it can be expensive, but you can also find great cheap deals (usually last minute) so having a passport enables you to take advantage of those things.

I think it’s bad enough that most peole in the US are raised speaking only one language (whereas most of Europe speaks at *least* two fluently). The lack of language learning and travel really makes a lot of people in the US very “US Centric”. There is so much more to the world out there, the US is not the be all end all.

ETA: sorry for the crazy long novel!

Post # 129
    380 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

I have a passport & but unfortunately never updated it after I moved & married, & it expires this year.   Now that I am getting remarried I am thinking about renewing it just because you never now when it might come in handy. 

Post # 130
    9050 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

I’m Canadian but have only had a passport for about three years.  You only started needing passports to visit the rest of north America a few years ago, and I grew up in a part of the country that didn’t even have easy access to an international airport. Ie it would cost almost 1000 and hours of drive time just to get to Vancouver airport.  I think the us/Canada has the issue that not only are we huge land mass-wise but we also have fewer major cities. Lose together. 

Post # 131
    Hostess
    11163 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

I have had a passport since my freshman year of college, when all the adventures and living abroad began. I LOVE looking in it and seeing all the stamps and visas. Sadly that passport expires this month (boo!) so I’ll have to get a fresh new one.

My Fiance doesn’t and has never had one, along with most of our family and friends.

Post # 132
    8734 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @Treejewel19:  Mine expires next year.

So I’ll no longer have my Indian and Tanzanian visas as well as all my stamps to look at.

I’m going to keep my old passport if they let me because there are SO many memories in it!

Post # 133
    5091 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 2012

I’ve had a passport my entire life.  I’m really sad that I’m going to have to get a new one soon due to my new name…  My current passport has stamps from about ten different countries, including two visas (and visas are pretty).  I love travel and couldn’t do without my passport.

Post # 134
    211 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Both Fiance and I love to travel…we will always have a valid passport!

Post # 135
    211 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
    @Treejewel19:  When Fiance renewed his last year, they sent his old one back (with holes punched into the bar code) about a month after he got his new one.

Post # 136
    5422 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2012

Ive had one since I was 6 years old.  Travelling abroad was an annual excursion for me.  I know before people used to be able to go to mexico/caribbean with just a photo id, so a lot of people didnt bother to get one since that was a popular destination area.  They were also much more of a pain to get back then.  You could only get the photos done at a handful of places and would have to go to government offices for the paperwork. 

Its a good thing I always had a current one since I work for an airline. 

The topic ‘Do you have a passport? – Poll for US bees only, everyone else welcome to chat’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors