(Closed) Do you have to say goodbye to the B&G?

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1209 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I don’t think that you have to. I can’t imagine that I would be upset over something like this.

Post # 4
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I didn’t know this was rude either. I thought as long as I spoke to the B&G and offered my congratulations it would be fine. I thought that was the purpose of the B&G coming around to each table to thank people for coming.

Post # 5
2475 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I think people will definitely have different opinions on this.  My opinion is that it’s not rude.  In fact, I hate how my Fiance feels the need to make a big production out of goodbyes to every single person whenever we are at a party or an event.  I think that especially with a wedding, and the amount of people there, it’s not necessary. 

When I think about it, I wouldn’t want every single guest at my wedding saying goodbye to me.  People leave at different times during the night, and I want to be enjoying myself – not saying goodbye to everyone.

Post # 6
2289 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

You know, that’s a good question. I’ve always said goodbye to the B&G because it’s what I consider good manners, but would it be bad manners not to? I don’t know. I would want people to say good bye to me so I could properly thank them and see them out, but maybe that’s not practical at a wedding. Then again, we’re only having 80 people, so…

Post # 7
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I think it depends on how close you are to them. I mean, if it’s your best friend or something, I’m sure you’d want to say goodbye. But for most weddings, I think it’s impractical to assume every single guest will tell the bride and groom goodbye! I definitely don’t think it’s a big deal if you don’t.

Post # 8
501 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Oh goodness, I would rather not spend my entire evening saying goodbye to every single person at the reception! A few people, yes. I understand that grandparents and aunts and uncles whom you are close to will want to say goodbye, fine. However, I do not consider it rude at all if someone chooses to leave without saying goodbye. 🙂

Post # 10
1209 posts
Bumble bee

@ Tulip, my Fiance is like that too, and it drives me insane! I am more of slip out the back door kinda girl. It takes us so long to leave any function!! We tell everyone bye a million times!

Post # 11
505 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I don’t think you are.  I do the same thing. There were times where I’ve waited by turn to say good-bye to a friend and then after 20 mins of waiting just left.  There were times where I just caught the bride  through the corner of her eye, waved, blew a kiss and did the “call me” signal with my hand and left. 

I think most brides would understand you just leaving. Sometimes for a bridge & groom to talk & say good-bye to everyone at a wedding…its impossible.

Post # 13
2398 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I think it probably depends on the size of the wedding and how close you are to the bride or groom.  The fewer people present, the more noticeable your absence will be.

Post # 14
5498 posts
Bee Keeper

I don’tt hink it’s rude at all. = ) The B&G are usually pretty busy, anyway!

Post # 15
2475 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@Tonya – I totally feel your pain!  It is sooo annoying.  I swear it takes us like a half hour just to leave because he spends forever saying goodbye.  We have gotten into so many arguments over this!

Post # 16
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

if i’m close to them, i will definitely make a point of it to say goodbye. and if they happen to be in my way to the exit, i will say goodbye. but if we’re not good friends, i’m not going to interupt their fun time dancing just to say goodbye. no need to bother them.

The topic ‘Do you have to say goodbye to the B&G?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors