- 4 years ago
My hunky future-hubby and I decided on a date! June 1, 2017. We are going to do some pre-wedding festivities the weekend beforehand in AZ (where we live currently), and then fly to Cancun with approximately 30-40 people (we’re guessing) for a 5 day wedding week! Ahhhhh I’m so excited I can hardly stand it.
But I need some HELP. I have no idea how to plan a destination wedding, and I’ve never been to Cancun… soooo I’m a little hesitant to just choose a resort and start putting down deposits. I have some questions for you lovely bees who have some knowledge/ experience in the whole destination wedding thing. (And if you know much about Cancun, or had/attended a wedding there, then we must talk! 😉 )
Here are my main questions:
1. Do you have a resort recommendation? (Right now we’re looking at Secrets Akumal, Excellence Rivera Cancun OR Excellence Playa Mujeres, and Hard Rock Cancun. I’m not too keen on getting married through the Hard Rock brand, as I find it a big “Vegas,” but a friend attended a wedding at the Hard Rock and suggested I look into it. Thoughts?)
2. Do you have insight regarding how many guests will likely attend? We’re inviting 120, but we expect somewhere between 30 and 40 to make it. Does this sound about right?
3. What about the on-sight wedding planners… do they usually do a good job? Is there somethig to look out for/ask for/pay attention to, when working with on-sight vendors from a far-away land? 🙂
4. What activities should we have for our guests before/after the wedding? We’re planning on flying in on a Monday, getting married on a Thursday, and then having Friday to lounge, and then moving to a different “honeymoon spot” on Saturday (just the 2 of us). For the days leading up to the wedding, what kinds of events should we have for our guests?
5. Decor, decor, decor! Those who have had destination weddings, did you bring your own decor? Why or why not?
6. Hair and makeup? I know this is TOTALLY subjective, but how was your experience with an on-sight hair and makeup artist? Did you get to try them out before the big day? I’m scared that if I don’t choose my own, I’m going to have to re-do my own hair and makeup on the fly. I would LOVE to get my hair and makeup done (there’s something so special about being pampered like that… and when else would that ever happen? 🙂 But I’m also a tad nervous since I’m relatively picky about my appearance). Any thoughts/guidance/suggestions?
7. Weather in Cancun in late May/ early June? We are looking to arrive on May 29th, and have our guests stay until June 2nd, and then we will stay until June 7th most likely. I know we are at the beginning of the rainy season. Has anyone else been married in Cancun during this time of year? How was it? I am a PhD student so I can’t take time off other than in the summer or middle of December. We really don’t want to wait until December to be married, so we’re hoping the early summer will work. I would love to hear your experiences! Thank you!
8. Anything else you find valuable to share? For those of you who shared your advice, thank you SO much for helping a fellow bee out! I’m so excited and I can’t wait to get the real planning underway. I know your tips will really help guide me.