(Closed) Do you still consider it debt if you pay off your CC 100% each month?

posted 7 years ago in Money
  • poll: If you pay off you CC balance in full each statement, do you still consider it debt?

Yes

No

Other

• Post # 17
    2513 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2015

We put everything on FI’s amex and pay it at the end of the month.  ๐Ÿ™‚  It earns us great rewards, why would we use cash?

I don’t consider that debt.  The money is in the accounts to pay it off.  And we don’t incurr any interest charges. 

Post # 18
    5658 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

I don’t consider that debt. We use it deliberately to get airline miles. We could just as easily switch to debit.

Post # 19
    1124 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
    @cbgg:  debt is something that is owed to a creditor.  so the credit card company is lending you the money and paying the store.  when i buy a metro card, the metro becomes in debt to me because i have lent it $20 or whatever i put on my card.  

interest is a FEE that is applied for the credit they are giving you.  Even if i pay my electric bill today, i am in debt to them for the electricity they provide until they send me my next bill.  

bills =liability

Post # 20
    2854 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I don’t consider it debt. Fiance uses his CC for everything and then pays it off. He feels like there is an added security by only using his CC rather than his debit card (I think he feels this way after my wallet got stolen and someone used my debit card). He has more than enough cash to cover his CC payments.

Post # 21
    1327 posts
    Bumble bee

Umm No, we use our credit cards for everything and then pay them off every month. They are points cards so we use the points to get free gift cards and stuff every year. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 22
    15133 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    @blueEyes90:  Yes!  The protection thing is huge too.  If there’s any issues with a vendor the credit card will usually back you.  If someone steals your CC number, they reverse right away and you’re not really effected.  If someone steals your debit card and takes cash out, that’s actual money you have to wait to get back.  And most Visa cards (most cards actually I think) offer a double warrenty protection on goods purchased with their card.  For example, I bought a tablet with a standard 1 year warranty, which crashed and refused to boot 1.5 years later.  With the doublt warranty protection, my credit card actually refunded me the full purchases price (cause it was too expensive to fix) toward a new tablet.

Post # 23
    5373 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2014

I don’t consider it debt, because we don’t spend more on our CC than we’re able to pay back before the end of our billing cycle.

Post # 24
    3256 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Unless it’s a cash advance, no interest accrues until the payment due date.  So, no, it isn’t debt, it’s just a method of payment.

Post # 25
    509 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

It’s just a matter of accounting, and how you slot things into which column… it’s fine not to consider it debt, as long as you consider that your chequing account, or whatever account the payment will come out of, is actually $1000 less than it is. So you can consider you have $5000 in your chequing account and $1000 in debt, or you can just say that’s no debt but consider that you have $4000 in cash. It all adds up to the same thing! What’s dangerous is when people have $3000 owing on their credit card, $3000 in the chequing account, and consider that because they still have cash in their chequing they have money and can keep spending.

Post # 26
    9800 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

No, I would not consider it debt.  I would consider it debt if you carry it over.  I use mine for almost all monthly expenses.  I still stick to a budget though.

Post # 27
    1310 posts
    Bumble bee

Nope!  I buy everything possible on credit card but I never buy anything I can’t pay for in cash.  I pay off my credit cards with every paycheque, actually – I should probably wait until my next statement to earn what little interest there is to earn, but oh well. ๐Ÿ˜›  Better safe than sorry!

Post # 28
    963 posts
    Busy bee

Maybe they don’t mean the full balance, but just the minimum amount owed? It’s not debt if you pay it on time.

Post # 29
    987 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

View original reply
    @Washingtonian:  +1

Although it would appear that ‘debt’ has a different meaning in everyday life! As opposed to its technical definition, I mean… ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 30
    8036 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

Agreed, it’s not debt if you pay it in full each month.

Using credit cards this way (correctly) is smart. You’re protected and you can get rewards points towards good things or cash back.

Post # 31
    230 posts
    Helper bee

No. I put every expense I can on my United Airlines credit card and pay it in full every statement. I get the rewards, lounge passes, miles, etc and don’t lose any money on it.

This only works if you’re pretty responsible and know you have the money available to pay it off.

The topic ‘Do you still consider it debt if you pay off your CC 100% each month?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors