(Closed) Does name change affect ability to file taxes separately

posted 11 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Since it looks like you just got married in May, you would still be filing apart for the 2009 year.  Next year (April 2011 filing date) you could do a joint.


Even if you have the same name, you can still file separatly, AFAIK.

Post # 4
1205 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

You can still file separately, but from what I’ve read, if you’re married at any point during a year the IRS considers you as good as married for the whole year. So if you marry in May 2009 or 12/31/09, for your 2009 taxes you’d be married filing separately or jointly. You can file separately at any point during your marriage, regardless of your name.

If you use a program like Turbo Tax you should be able to see the differences between filing jointly and separately before you commit to doing either. 

Post # 5
1941 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Good question! I was wondering the same thing because we want to file seperately the first year. I was told that even though you are married you never have to file jointly but not sure if that is true. I would check out the IRS website, ick, and see what they suggest.

Post # 6
5398 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You can choose to file separately, but from what we were told my our tax person it’s not typically a good idea to do so because of the penalty for filing seperately.  You can talk to a tax professional and they can tell you what your refund would look like if you file together or seperate before submitting your taxes.

Post # 7
410 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Have your tax person look at all the options.  You can file together or "married filing seperatly"  I know some families to this due to them being a one income household/disabilities are in volved.  You tax person should run it every legal way and show you your options so that you dont get screwed….

Post # 8
121 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

You can always file seperately, you just can’t file “single”  Be careful though, if one spouse itemizes, the other one has to as well, or they lose the standard deduction.  There are also a lot of credits that you lose if you go “married filing seperately”

At H&R Block, and with their software Tax Cut, you can figure it both ways to see what works best for your situation, and they don’t charge you for it (unless you do file seperately, then the 2nd return is discounted)

The topic ‘Does name change affect ability to file taxes separately’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors