- 7 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
So I love baking and I’m not liking the idea of paying $5 a slice and up for a wedding cake. It’s actually most important to me that the desserts are delicious as opposed to looking extravagant so I kinda want to do the desserts myself. We are going to buy a small layer cake to cut because I already bought our cake topper. But I’m planning on doing a combination of cake, pies and bars for the other desserts. Here’s what I have in mind:
2 – 9″ cheesecakes with passion fruit topping
1 – chocolate kahlua bundt cake with salty caramel glaze
2 – 9″ banana cream pies
2 – 9″ apple pies (made by FMIL)
1 – 13 x 9″ pan of lemon bars
1 – 9″ chocolate cream pie
So here are my questions for you:
1. We are expecting about 85 people of which at least 10 will be kids. I figured the 9″ pies will serve 84 slices. The bundt cake, maybe 20 slices? And the lemons bars, maybe 36 pieces? Including a small layer cake that we purchase, maybe an 8″ cake, that should be enough for 85 people right?
2. If I do need more desserts, what else do you think I should make? I’m considering blueberry pie (since it’ll be in season with fresh blueberries), a trifle of some sort (but I’m not sure about how to serve it), or maybe a sponge cake or bundt cake?
3. I absolutely love salty caramel anything, but am wondering how it will go with chocolate and kahlua; we’re still recovering from holiday sugar overload so I’m not going to try that combination for awhile. Any thoughts about how to incorporate salty caramel if not with the cake?
4. We are also thinking about serving vanilla ice cream on the side. I guess this is really just a matter of logistics including how to get large tubs of ice cream to the reception site which is about an hour away from most grocery stores. Maybe dry ice would do it?
5. Any advice you have about logistics would also be helpful. For instance, would a parchment slide work under the cheesecake? I do mine in a water bath and haven’t had much luck with wrapping the springform in foil. How far in advance can I make the custard pies? Should I wait until the day of to put the whipped cream on the custard pies?