(Closed) Doing food for 130 on a STRICT budget!

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
11752 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

what time is your wedding at?

I hate KFC personally and would not be a fan of eating fried, bone-in chicken at a wedding. 

Is cutting the guest list an option?  $15.00 pp for a buffet seems like a really good deal! 

Post # 5
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

What about a local restaurant, mexican, asian or indian?  They are all normally very inexpensive, especially on a large order like that.

Post # 6
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Google what KFC adds to their chicken and then tell me you want to eat it ever again….

$15 per person is super cheap. I think you should consider either cutting your guest list or cutting somewhere else in the wedding.

Hor d’oeuvres are more expensive usually because each little individual piece has to be prepped. A lot more work than a giant chaffing dish of steamed veggies, etc!

Post # 7
829 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@nyscpa2be:  I agree, see if there is a restaurant who does more family style-large food quantity and see if you can get a better deal.  If not, which I have a feeling might be the case, I think it would be best if you cut down your guest list.  

Post # 8
11752 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Maybe you could find a “fast food” type of pasta place that could cater tons of pasta for cheap.    I’d take that over KFC any day and it’s gotta be cheaper than chicken!

Post # 9
2891 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Honestly if it was me I would see if I could order my meat from a restaurant and DIY my sides. My friend got a restaurant to do 3 big roast beefs, 20 lb of chicken cordonblue for $500 and then her besties (me included) diy’ed the sides. We made twice baked potatoes, rice pilaf, a myriad of veggies, homemade rolls for 150 for @$300. Add in drinks and dessert and it would put you at @$1000.

Post # 11
960 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Have you tried a local BBQ Caterer? There are a ton of those around here that companies use to thank their employees. I think BBQ would go better with your theme and be better than the KFC. Some of them are really nice too for a really cheap price 🙂

Post # 12
269 posts
Helper bee

for those saying $15pp is cheap, our cost of living is waaaaaay lower than most states. with it being lower and food prices rising its hard to beable to afford catering. i found a sitecalled mywedding.com and for the toledo/temperance area it has a lot more listed than theknot.com. i mean there are private catering companies thatarent even in the phone book! i like the idea of having a restaurant bringing inthe mains. or a hog roast…although i dont eat pork but its on the cheaper side.

Post # 13
889 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Diplomat Country Club

@Peather2013:  I would kill for a 15$ buffet man i’m about to pay 61$/person

I’m agreeing with pp about checking into local restaurants. I can also suggest subway they can do a sandwich platter, meatballs etc, i did that for my baby shower havd 25 people intotal including cupcakes i spend 200$. So definitly check into chillis applebees etc

Post # 14
Hostess
8579 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

You could always mix and match! Get mashed potatoes/sides from KFC [love those biscuits!], and find something else as the main.

Post # 15
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@Peather2013:  Have you checked with local Italian restaurants?  Many will sell trays of pasta like lasagna and ziti, along with sides and salad at very reasonable prices.  My locl favorite sells a platter of chicken parm that will feed 20-30 people for $25 (that’s a dollar a person!)  I used it when I hosted ladies bingo and everyone was impressed.  You could probably cater a whole meal for under $5 a person.

Post # 16
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@Elky:  That’s what we’re doing with our casual beachside wedding.  A beachside BBQ buffett.  nom!

The topic ‘Doing food for 130 on a STRICT budget!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors