(Closed) Doing food for 130 on a STRICT budget!

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 17
732 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

We’re doing basically sandwiches, a few ( im talking 1 or 2) hot h[ordurvers, and a HUGE dessert buffet. Im really excited becaus i love desserts. If it had it my way it was just be desserts lol Fi thinks it would be nice to have other options though so were adding the sandwiches and some fruit/veggie trays and h’ordurves. ours is in mid afternoon so we can get away with that it really depends what time your wedding is at! 

Post # 18
2899 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@secondchances:  I love this idea!

That said, a friend of my brother’s had KFC cater his wedding last summer, and my fiance was really bummed that we weren’t invited. He was like, “KFC wedding?! Sign me up!” I would personally prefer Popeye’s, but I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with a KFC wedding. (And if you can bump the guest list up to 131, my fiance would love to go! Lol.)

But yeah, I’d also check into a local Italian or BBQ place. Local restaurants seem to have better food than chains anyway, and might have better prices too.  

Post # 19
525 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I’d recommend a pig roast.  It fits the theme, it’s delicious, and it would be extremely cost effective.  Then just supply some sides (salads [get in bulk at Costco or the like if someone has a membership], potato salad, pasta, rolls, etc.) that you can make ahead of time and then just serve.  If there is somewhere you can heat things up, you can even make big trays of pasta, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc. and then just have someone heat them before they get served.

Post # 20
9800 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

As others have mentioned…I would look at either a local BBQ place or a local italian place to do trays of food (they are usually fairly inexpensive).  Sorry, just not a fan of KFC (or fried chicken).  I’d much rather have a pulled pork sandwich over fried chicken.  I’ve seen basic bbq catering for $10 per person (pulled pork, beans, coleslaw, bread) pickup/delivered and $12 for full service.

What is your budget exactly?

Post # 21
2052 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m sorry if this is rude, but I would judge someone for having KFC at their wedding.  If I wanted fast food, I’d go thru the drive-in, not get dressed up and go to a wedding.  I think better, classier options would be sandwich heros, hamburger & hot dog BBQ, ziti from a local Italian place or even pizza!  A cake & punch reception would be better than chicken out of buckets in my opinion!

ETA: I just did a quick google search, and there are places in Grand Rapids that have party trays of lasagna, spaghetti & meatballs, etc. that serve 10-12 people for under $50. That beats KFC pricing! www.andreaspizzagr.com/partytrays or www.fredspizza.com/catering

Post # 23
1722 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

I realize this is already done, but I would never judge someone for their food choices at a wedding. Not in this economy. Not when there are so many more important things for people to splurge on. Presumably, I’m there to support the couple and help them out – there should be food of some kind and I don’t care what it is. I have been to weddings where most of the food, or only the chicken, came from KFC or – as a fellow Midwesterner – Meijer deli.

I have been to several barbecue/picnic style weddings. Not all weddings have to be a church-and-hall-catered event.

Post # 24
8683 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

KFC makes me nauseous but if that is what your budget allows and YOU like it then I say go for it.

Post # 26
1845 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I know you’ve already decided, but I just want to throw this out there for anyone else reading. I wouldn’t have “judged” you for having KFC, not at all.. It’s your wedding and you can have whatever you like!! However, I wouldn’t have been able to eat at all if I were a guest. I don’t eat KFC (or any other fast food), because it’s ridiculously unhealthy and horrible. That would have been my only problem…I would have just been concerned about the people who don’t eat fast food?

The topic ‘Doing food for 130 on a STRICT budget!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors