(Closed) Dollar Dance, tradition vs. tacky

posted 8 years ago in Music
  • poll: Dollar Dance:
    Tacky-don't do it! : (152 votes)
    63 %
    Just fine! : (57 votes)
    23 %
    Don't have a strong opinion eitherway : (34 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 62
    7813 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@VegasSukie:  Come over to my house for a party and you won’t think it’s tacky! Lol 😉

Post # 63
    1304 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

@MrsPanda99:  Hey don’t threaten me with a good time! Wink

Post # 64
    2247 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Everyone in my family and friends does it but not in FI’s family. Most of them got enough money from the dollar dance alone to pay for their entire honeymoon! So that’s tempting me lol I do find it’s tradition and some family members are offended when the couple doesn’t do it. It’s a good way to mingle with guests and have some one on one time with them. Of course not everyone will participate, but with 400 guests I’m assuming some of mine will want to. I went to FI’s cousins wedding where they auctioned off a dance with the bride and groom..not that I found tacky.

Post # 65
    7813 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@MrsN14: Oh, so people give more than a dollar? That makes a little more sense. I live in Canada, so people would be throwing hard loonies at us, lol.

Post # 66
    1451 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Im not doing it. Ive never seen it. 

Post # 67
    1966 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Some traditions are in bad taste and the fact that it’s “been around” doesn’t make it any better.

To me this is one of those.

Post # 68
    2265 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

@chanara:  Its tacky – I wouldn’t do it.  While your FI’s family may be surprised you didn’t do it, they won’t be offended.  Your guests will likely be both appalled and offended. 

Post # 69
    508 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I think it depends on your culture, honestly. I didn’t realize how many cultures did this, to be honest. I’ve only seen people in the New Orleans & Gulf Coast region do this, and I was pleasantly surprised to read that people of Mexicans and Philippino descent do this, and some other areas of the country do this as well.

However, Fiance & I won’t be doing it, because it makes us uncomfortable, and also I’m from the northern part of the state, where you never see this, and he is from a part of the mid-west where they never see this… so we just thought it wouldn’t make sense for us. However, two of my good friends married men from the Gulfcoast & New Orleans area, and they both did it…and it was fun! (And lucrative. :)) They both did the pin version, and most people paid well over a dollar to dance with the bride or groom.

Post # 70
    1075 posts
    Bumble bee

@MrsPanda99:  may I join the party puhleeeeze! I suppose I fit the bcriteria for ur partay!

Post # 71
    1048 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Its very popular in our family even though I detest it, I know they will do it.

Post # 72
    7813 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@babypearls:  Sure! We have lots of vodka (we aren’t alcoholics, I promise). In fact, I mostly drink wine. Fiance is the vodka hound 😛

Post # 73
    628 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

If it’s part of your heritage and culture then that is perfectly acceptable.

The one time I saw it, they were very clear it was to fund a portion of their honeymoon expenses and it was a money grab (they did volunteer that in private), so I’ve never had the opportunity to see it in a cultural tradition.

Post # 74
    308 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

My initial instinct was to call it tacky — until I realized your FI’s family is from a culture where this is commonly done. That made me vote that you should go for it!

Sooo — it’s not at all tacky, then, but it DOES merit an explanation for the benefit of clueless guests like me – either from the emcee/DJ or a note on whatever program you might provide on the website, etc. If I were to go to a wedding where this happened without explanation, I’d be mortified; if there were an explanation provided, I would think it was such an awesome and interesting custom I’d just learned about! I love wedding rituals from around the world!

Post # 75
    3273 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

I don’t think it’s tacky but I won’t do it. I’ve never seen it done, maybe it’s just not common here

Post # 76
    628 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

@calendula:  That’s a very good point.  Especially since OP’s family has not seen it.

The topic ‘Dollar Dance, tradition vs. tacky’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors