(Closed) Dream dress is on sale for $200! Buy it or wait?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Buy it now or wait?

Buy it now if you can try something similar on before you purchase it

Buy it now, no matter what. If you love the dress go for it!

Wait it out, your tastes may change.

Wait it out and try on the actual dress. Then hope it goes on sale again.

• Post # 17
    6257 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

Buy it and try it on! You can always return it

Post # 18
    553 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I would wait. Two years is a long time and dress styles change so much.

Post # 19
    384 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

Surely you can return it if it doesn’t fit on you right? Then again they might not since it’s the kind of dress someone only wears once. They may be wise to people buying it for the day and trying to return it.. Still, for $200 I would definitely go for it anyway.

Post # 20
    2293 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

If you don’t have a date set, and you’re thinking it’s still 2 years out, I wouldn’t buy a dress. I came into this post thinking, “Duh, no brainer, buy it,” but I think you need to give yourself time to try stuff on in person and get a little closer to the date.

Post # 21
    207 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I would wait!  I know it’s exciting, but seriously, your tastes will most likely change and it would SUCK to be locked down on such a big part of the event.  Put it this way – my entire engagement is only 8 months, we’re halfway through now and my vision for my dress has changed majorly, 4 times.  Luckily I’m getting a basic dress and customizing it, so all four changes could be adjusted…but that’s not the case for your pretty you listed.  Wait, wait, wait and make sure!

Post # 23
    10449 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

For only $200 I’d just buy it. If you hate it, it’s not a big loss. But if you love it that’s a great price.

Post # 24
    2841 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
    @Tarheelgurl:  If you have wanted that style dress for that long then I think you should buy it.

Though if you are wanting a baby blue dress in that style, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could find a bridesmaids dress that would suit.

ETA: I didn’t know what the top end of your budget is, buI if you could stretch to about $800 there is a company that can make weding dresses in any colour, e.g. this one: 

http://www.weddingdressfantasy.com/Blue_Wedding_Dress_p/20137.htm

Post # 25
    441 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I think it comes down to: How much is $200  to you? If an extra $200 would mean the difference between being able to pay for a surprise car repair bill or not (in other words, not money you can afford to lose) then I’d say wait to be sure it’s what you want and hope it goes on sale again closer to your wedding. 

If you can comfortably afford to spend $200 without it being a huge financial hit, I’d say buy it and then if you decide you don’t like it after all you can always donate the dress to a charity like Brides Against Breast Cancer (they take donations of used gowns and sell them to raise funds for breast cancer patients) even if nobody wants to buy it. I do think enough brides nowadays like color that you might indeed be able to sell it though. I love the look of this dress, myself!

That being said, I’ve noticed that these colored wedding dresses are often discontinued quickly at David’s Bridal. I get the impression that might be because the colored dresses aren’t as popular as the pure white ones.

Post # 26
    2267 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    @HisMoon:  “Can you make a fun day trip out of it with a/some girlfriend(s)? You could talk wedding stuff in the car, go try on the dress, maybe even have her/them try on Bridesmaid or Best Man dress(es) for fun and to see what style you like, have some grub at a nice restaurant, drive back? Overnight trip?

+1.

I wouldn’t buy it without trying it on.

I’d also be worried that your wedding is so far away – are you positive you’ll still love it in 2 years from now…?

Post # 27
    7 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2014

you have to try it before buying such an important dress. but if you can afford to lose 200 dlls. if yohy end up not liking it well its up to you

Post # 28
    2552 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I wouldn’t buy it, if your wedding is 2 years away, your tastes will almost surely change.

Post # 29
    8472 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

Hmm. I just looked on their website and it says the blue is sold out in all sizes. So you might want to call the store and see if they have it there.

Post # 30
    16 posts
    Newbee

I actually fell in love with this dress online too. IT WAS MY DREAM DRESS! I tried it on after trying a few others on and hated it. It is much heavier than I expected and it gave me a very box-y shape. Mind you I’m 5’2 and 117 pounds so I was expecting to look good in anything. This unfortunately just wasn’t the one. It was a little embarassing after showing everyone the picture of it and how I couldn’t wait to try it on and everyone loved it online too. I’m still a little sad over it! Just wasn’t like the picture. I tried this dress on directly after blue dream dress and instantly fell in love. I wasn’t quite feeling it by looking at it on the website but it’s gorgeous. Very light weight and hugs my body the way I want it to. here’s a pic 🙂 This one won over blue dream dress!

Post # 31
    978 posts
    Busy bee

Buy it! If you’re ordering online you can always return it!

The topic ‘Dream dress is on sale for $200! Buy it or wait?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors