(Closed) Dream dress is on sale for $200! Buy it or wait?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Buy it now or wait?

Buy it now if you can try something similar on before you purchase it

Buy it now, no matter what. If you love the dress go for it!

Wait it out, your tastes may change.

Wait it out and try on the actual dress. Then hope it goes on sale again.

• Post # 32
    2437 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

@Tarheelgurl:  I would check and see what the return policy is, or exchnage policy. If you can get a refund or even in store credit to exchnage it, i would go ahead and buy it.

Post # 33
    9071 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

I would never try on a dress without buying it.

When I went dress shopping, I was hellbent on getting a mermaid/sheath/trumpet dress. I absolutely adored the style, that was going to be my dress.

Every single one I tried on looked like shit on me.

I ended up with a ballgown, the one dress style I was adament to not get.

Try before you buy.

Post # 34
    1509 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@Tarheelgurl:  I’m usually one for using caution, but I’d say go ahead and get it no matter what.  You said it wasn’t a final sale, so you have the option of returning it if you hate it.  Also … It’s only $200!  That’s a seriously awesome price for a wedding gown!

I guess my only concern would be the fact that your wedding date is so far away.  I feel like 2 years is a long time, and it would be so easy to fall in love with a number of other dresses in that amount of time.  That might be something to consider before making a purchase.

Post # 35
    225 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

You should go to the store and try on lots of dresses before you buy one. I was all wrong about what size I thought I wore when I went to the store to try on dresses and the styles I thought I loved were all horrible on me. The consultants were amazing and really helped me find the perfect dress. I live over an hour away from the David’s Bridal in my area and it was definitely worth the drive. Make it an event for you and a couple of friends or your mom, etc. DON’T BRING TOO MANY PEOPLE! That will just confuse you. Also, be careful about the sizing chart online. DB is in the middle of changing their sizing measurements, and you need to get measured by their own dresses, not the measurements on the site. I just ordered my dress online from David’s Bridal, and I had to call the store and get help from the alterations staff to figure out which size to order, even after I had tried on dresses at the store. Dress cuts are a big deal in sizing.

I know that the dress is beautiful, but in 2 years your feelings will probably change a lot, as will the dress styles – and probably your dress size. I would wait on the dress. There are thousands of dresses out there and your wedding style may change a lot. David’s Bridal has tons of sales, and you’ll find a dress that you love no matter what.

If you can afford the dress and don’t care if you have to buy another, than you have to decide that… I wouldn’t be able to handle having my dress in my closet for 2 years and not being able to wear it! Plus that’s part of the excitement of your wedding, getting to wear your beautiful NEW dress! Good luck!

Post # 36
    6109 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

@Tarheelgurl:  I have been in this position maaaaany many times!  I always went for it and I ended up with 4 extra gowns to resell! 

DB has different sizing so you’d really want to know your size prior to buying.  I had least tried on one of their gowns so I knew how it would fit.

I guess you could just go for it and hope to resell it for the same price if it doesn’t fit (I’m assuming this is a final sale – so no returns, correct?).  I have found people are more inclined to spend $200 on a gown sight unseen.  That’s how I was able to resell all my dresses quickly (all under $200).

You could also order a similar DB gown – one that is returnable to get an idea for how your size (according to the size charts) fits.

PS if it ever says they ran out of a size or color, call anyway, they located a gown for me in my size in CA and shipped it from there – even though the website said they were all out.

PSS there’s also a good chance you can find this gown for sale used (or never worn) through other sites in 2 years.

Post # 37
    Hostess
    11050 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

Go for it. If your tastes change later on then ou could sell it and you wouldn’t miss out either way as you got it at a great price.

Post # 38
    3172 posts
    Sugar bee

@Tarheelgurl:  I also liked this dress online but in pink. It was not pretty at all to me in person. I would wait or see their return policy. I think you have up to two weeks to return it if it’s not a final sale item.

Post # 39
    3414 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Lodge

Buy it. For that price if it doesn’t work out you could sell it and probably get what you paid for it. I wouldn’t wait until next year because it will probably be discontinued by then. Wedding dresses are usually only out for a year before the designers discontinue them to make room for the next seasons designs.

The topic ‘Dream dress is on sale for $200! Buy it or wait?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors