(Closed) Dress Code FAQ’s on Wedding Website? (Black Tie & Outdoors)

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
151 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My wedding isn’t black tie, but the church we’re getting married in has a dress code, so I’m putting it on our website :] I personally don’t see anything wrong with that.

Post # 4
5547 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

I think if it is a suggestion on your website, then it is totally okay. But I also woudn’t be too disappointed if people don’t show up in tuxes and formal gowns for an outside wedding, in August. I do think having weather and such is a good plan to because Out of Town guests may not be sure.

Post # 5
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Ours was black tie requested and we did mention as much on our website. Luckily, we have family connections to a big tux rental shop in the city and were generously offered a discount for our guests when they quoted our name. That’s how we sugar coated that dung bomb. Didn’t provide any other info for guests, that sounds helpful though. We knew the shop would just take care of ours.

Post # 6
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

We’re also doing an FAQ tab, mostly because I wish all weddings had them. I cannot tell you how many wedding invites I’ve gotten and been unsure of the dress code and/or had additional questions. We’re not sure if we are going to call the tab “FAQ” or “Other Info” or someting else. We’re still working on questions, but here’s what we have so far (we’re getting married on a yacht and FI’s family is all over 6’2″):

• Will I get seasick?
  • Will I fit on the yacht?
  • What should I wear?
  • Will you verbally assault me if I use pirate jargon before, during, or after the reception?

Post # 7
828 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think that you should note “Black Tie” or “Black Tie Optional” on your invitation because eventhough the evening time would normally indicate that it’s formal, the outdoor setting makes it unusual. Hopefully the location on the invitation also indicates that it is out of doors.

As for the website, although I typically wish that people would be more upfront about the dress, I think that it’s ok to also put the dress code on the website under a FAQ section, but I wouldn’t go as far as to describe what you want them to wear. In text it could come across as if you are demanding that they wear x,y,z rather than a suggestion/ request.

Now I am rethinking my own wedding. I sort of want a black tie wedding, but I figured that since the ceremony is outside, it starts just before six o’ clock, and since no one in my family has had a black tie wedding that it should be a little less formal — although the groom and groomsmen are wearing blacktie and the bridesmaids are wearing long dresses.

Post # 9
433 posts
Helper bee

@SoCalBelle:  

I would agree with you. As a guest, I always appreciate being given as much information as possible. I grew up with the old definitions of formal, semi-formal, etc. which means that my definition of formal is white tie for evening and morning dress for daytime events, while semi-formal is black tie (dinner jacket and stroller respectively). In my social circle, I know that formal requires a long, full-skirted ball gown and opera gloves for me, and a tailcoat with white marcella shirt, waistcoat and bow tie for my husband, while an evening dress and dinner jacket will suffice for semi-formal. However, most people haven’t a clue when it comes to traditional definitions, and do not realise their blissful ignorance.

I believe that guests play an important part in any event, and if the guests do not dress appropriately the atmosphere is compromised. I have personally experienced people who were refused entry or were asked to leave because they were not properly dressed. It is embarrassing for all involved and entirely avoidable, of course.

As you live in California, which I understand to be extremely casual in dress and attitude, I too would err on the side of caution and provide as much detail as you can. Also, there is nothing wrong with printing black or white tie on your invitations.

Post # 10
1715 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

You definetly need to put the info on the website because it soudns like your expecting a lot more than what most people would even think of. I think its simple for men to understand blacktie but women its a little different. Are you requiring that your female guests be dressed in ball gowns youll need to be very clear about that. 

Post # 11
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I think you should put “formal recpetion” or “black tie” on your invitation, as well as your wedding website, however IMO, links to definitions, and telling people to rent from a certain location, or telling people you need to wear…..  comes across as bride-zilla….

But I do agree that you should say it is formal/ black tie/ etc… how ever you wish to word it, because traditionally, an outdoor wedding is garden attire, which is semi-formal… at best… usually more “brunch” attire.

If people need help finding somwhere to rent formal clothing from, they can ask you, or a family member, or do a simple google search.

I also think it’s important to state the weather … etc… b/c it IS an outdoor wedding, and even in August it can get COLD in the evening.

The topic ‘Dress Code FAQ’s on Wedding Website? (Black Tie & Outdoors)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors