(Closed) Dress help!!

posted 5 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
2251 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I only had 9 months for wedding planning,  even though we were engaged for 8 years O_o  so i recommend to start looking sooner rather than later,  but book your venue first,  because a dress may look out of place in a particular venue.  So this is what you do: set the date,  book the venue,  score the dj, order the dress,  taste the food,  the rest is all crap.

Post # 3
2271 posts
Buzzing bee

mrsstewietobe:  

Most dresses have to be ordered which can take 4-6 months on average (longer with more high-end or popular designers in some cases). Also you want to leave 2-3 months for alterations, so that means at the latest you want to purchase your gown like 8 months in advance. Most girls purchase their gown a year-8 months ahead of time and it considered one of the first things to do along with booking your venue.

Post # 4
2175 posts
Buzzing bee

I started looking about 8 month ahead and bought it at 7-6months ahead. I bought a sample off the rack so I didn’t have to order it. The dresses I was looking at would have taked about 4 months to order so I wanted enough time, but then saw a different dress and changed my mind at the last minute. I think it depends on how quickly you think you can decide on a dress, how long it will take to order, do you want a top designer, there are a lot of designers. I don’t see an issue with going sometime soon to get a feel for different styles. Just know your budget & have at least an idea of what kind of venue/day you are going to have so you don’t fall in love with something that you might have to sell later. Its also addictive to try on wedding dresses, I think. If you go too early you could fall in love with something that you don’t like months later. Knowing what style works on your figure can definitely help narrow the field!!

Post # 5
492 posts
Helper bee

I started looking right away (it will be a 1.5 year engagement). I was way to excited to wait and I had NO idea what style of dress I was interested in! I learned that pictures of dresses online really do not do the dresses justice! I am happy that I started looking so early because I bought a dress early on that I ended up regretting and selling. I now have the dress of my dreams! Shopping early gave me the chance to figure out exactly what I wanted and I couldn’t be more excited to wear my dress on the big day! 

Post # 6
708 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I was looking for dresses before I was even engaged lol… But I did find one .. And bought it after he proposed… We are shooting for fall of 2016 but it’s not set in stone. I see a lot of women on here jump the gun and buy a dress and then keep looking for some reason and then have “dress regret” so if your going to look once you find it and buy it stop looking… I also would say since your wedding will be in a year I would start to look and get a feel of what you want bc it will take 9mths or so for a designer to ship in your dress. 

Post # 7
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I went in right after I got engaged in April to look around a bridal boutique just for fun, but after I told them my wedding isn’t until September 2016 they said to wait until about a year before. Bridal dresses come in a spring/summer and fall/winter turn around so if you want to get married in fall, shop in fall. I did start actually looking at dresses about a month ago because I had no clue what silhouette or style would look on me. I’m glad I did this so when I finally have my mom or family come at a time I truly want to decide on a dress, I won’t be wasting their time. 

The topic ‘Dress help!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors