Dress help

posted 2 years ago in Dress
  • poll: What should I do?
    buy the dress and let it out two sizes : (3 votes)
    25 %
    buy a random dress and resell it for money towards what you want at a local shop : (3 votes)
    25 %
    buy a dress in your size from the website and settle : (6 votes)
    50 %
  • Post # 2
    1941 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

I’m not voting, because my opinion is not a poll option. I vote to wait. You have over a year until your wedding. You definitely don’t want to be using the word “settle” in regards to your wedding dress. Wait and see if the dress is available in your size later on, and see how your dieting goes.

Post # 3
    4830 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Bonnie1 :  I agree with the previous poster – wait and find a dress you love in your size.  The amount you might save on the coupon could well be taken up with alterations – and buying a dress to resell it is losing money right off the bat.   

Post # 5
    150 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2018

Bonnie1 :  I think the dress is beautiful – my only hesitation would be the fabric. If you are worried about sizing, crepe is not your friend. That style of dress is what I originally wanted, but after trying on several similar styles from various lines, I found that the fabric is just not forgiving. It looks absolutely beautiful on many brides, but even in my size (bridal 10), I felt like if I moved the wrong way or got a picture from the wrong angle, it wouldn’t be so pretty. It might be different with shapewear, but I was pretty set that I didn’t want to wear any so I ended up staying away from crepe fabric.

Post # 7
    150 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2018

Bonnie1 :  That’s awesome! I do really like crepe, but I ended up falling in love with a full lace dress (http://callablanche.com/andrina-gallery/). It does have a crepe underlay though! If you like crepe and feel comfortable, then I say it’s a contender! You may be better off just purchasing a dress closer to your size though. I don’t know how much alteration for 1-2 sizes up would end up costing you. Best of luck!

Post # 10
    223 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

I am not a seamstress, but I think it would be challenging to let out the hip area of the dress enough for your measurements given that there is the lace on top. Why don’t you call up a locall seamstress and ask? 

Post # 11
    11 posts
    Newbee

Hi!! Relatively new bee here but I worked at a bridal salon for 2 years where we also did alterations. I would strongly advise against letting a dress out. Most dresses don’t have enough seam allowance to be let out and with a fabric like crepe you’ll be able to see marks where the old seams were. Also with crepe many girls would order 1-2 sizes up from their “size” on the size chart as they didn’t want the dress to be skin tight and would rather be able to take it in to a comfortable fit. 

Hope this helps!

Post # 12
    1231 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

Can you contact The Last Minute Bride and ask them to look for a sample dress in the style that you like  and that would fit your largest measurement?  If you are not a sample size then it will be harder to find the exact dress that you want but they probably could find you a similar dress in your size.

Post # 14
    3832 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2017

You could also ask them to see if they will extend your voucher date. They might not but there’s nothing to lose. If not, I’d buy a dress to resell for money. Buying a too small dress is a gamble, and I wouldn’t buy a random dress you don’t even like just because you have a voucher for there. You could buy the too-small dress and see what a seamstress says – if it won’t work then resell. If they do think they can let it out then you can look at the cost of alterations vs the cost of a new dress. 

Post # 15
    1231 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

Bonnie1 :  Can you sell the voucher to someone else?

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors