(Closed) Dress lengths & the hive’s opinion.

posted 9 years ago in Dress
  • poll: If you are wearing a short wedding dress, what length would you want the BM's dresses to be?
    Longer than the wedding dress, because I'd like to 'stand out' from the girls. : (3 votes)
    8 %
    Same length as the dress, I like a 'uniform' look when it comes to the bridal party. : (14 votes)
    35 %
    Shorter than the wedding dress, to make the wedding dress look more formal than the BM's. : (12 votes)
    30 %
    Don't care. They could be all different lengths! : (11 votes)
    28 %
  • Post # 3
    428 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2009 - Church Ceremony/Reception at The Waterford House

I think it depends on the style.  For me, I would be more concerned with all the dresses fitting in with your theme and meshing together style wise.  Also, the season plays a role in dress style too.  Do you have pictures of your dresses/ the bm dresses you are considering?

Post # 4
    2015 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

My wedding dress falls just below my knees, and my BMs are doing the same. We were wondering the same things before the alterations process, and when it was all said and done, this is what looked best.

Post # 5
    2634 posts
    Sugar bee

I’d have them either the same length or shorter – definitely NOT longer though.

Post # 6
    1455 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

I think a similar cut would really flatter everyone and look great!

Post # 7
    1896 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Same length would look great!

Post # 8
    2781 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Whatever looked good on my bridesmaid/MOH that I liked and thought wouldn’t detract from my dress – but really my decision comes from my relationship with my Maid/Matron of Honor so I would say that. Really though I’d say around same length (with tights if they don’t like showing their legs) but not longer as it does – in my head – look a bit odd.

Post # 9
    2205 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

i like the idea of having them the same length, though I’m also tempted to say–it doesn’t matter!

Post # 10
    647 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I would go shorter too!

Post # 11
    2004 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2008

I would be most concerned with consistency of tone. Most long dresses read as dressier than a short dress, and you wouldn’t want your bridesmaids to be more dressed up than you. However, from an aesthetic viewpoint in theory I would be totally fine with long bridesmaids gowns and a short wedding dress.

The topic ‘Dress lengths & the hive’s opinion.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors