Dress regret

posted 12 months ago in Dress
Post # 2
1874 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

I had a similar situation. I had a really hard time selecting my dress. I didn’t get it on my first try though. I went dress shopping, and couldn’t really decide on anything. I’m really picky, I guess! I really liked the more simple styles but they just weren’t flattering me. I put on the one I bought and as I was slipping into it, I was like “no way am I going to like this dress. It is covered in lace” as soon as I looked into the mirror, my feeling was “this is the dress I’m going to marry XXX in”. It was never a dress I would have picked out myself! So I couldn’t pull the trigger that day, but we went to another place and tried on a few more dresses. And after every one I liked, I put “my dress” back on and everyone forgot about the one that I had just loved. So I bought it! And I still have second thoughts that I should just be in something more simple. Buuut, I keep telling myself that I liked it for a reason. That it looked the best and I kept coming back to it. And that my mom saw me light up in that dress and said my whole attitude was different in that dress, she could tell I felt great! So I have just decieded to suck it up and be cool with my decision! I also deleted all other dress pics so that I wouldn’t be tempted to think “maybe I looked better in that than I thought…”

FWIW, I think you look amazing in the first dress! It is definitely a stunner! So delete all the other pics! 

Post # 3
1046 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1995

Wow!!  You are drop dead gorgeous in the dress you got!!  Not sure why you are regretting it, except that is quite different thsn the one you liked.  I hope you love it on you after alterations.  It’s a beautiful gown.  I like it better than the all white one.

Post # 4
114 posts
Blushing bee

The dress you bought is amazing!

Post # 5
65 posts
Worker bee

You would look good in a garbage bag, tbh.  Both dresses are beautiful, but I slightly prefer the one you bought.  The other one looks like it would be a sweat-fest.  You made the right choice.

Post # 6
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

I can totally relate! I had major dress regret from the very beginning and couldn’t shake it. I was also swayed by friends and family who loved it. 

I tried not looking at other dresses, etc, but I coudn’t help myself and in the end bought another dress. I know it might not be helpful for you to hear, but I am much happier with the second dress I bought. If you have it in your budget to buy another dress, you could try more on to see if it helps settle your doubts. 

I plan on selling my first dress, though I know I won’t get nearly what I paid. Could that be an option for you?

FWIW, you look stunning in both. Which can you most see yourself walking down the aisle in? It’s funny, I actually tried the Justin Alexander one on too and almost bought it as my second dress. I’m a huge fan of the simple, fitted dresses. In the end I didn’t go with it because it was SO. HOT. Like I was dripping sweat in it lol. So that’s definitely something to consider.  

Post # 7
1921 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

francesjoys :  The dress you got is STUNNING and you are ROCKIN’ IT!! I feel the second one is a bit too plain and just OK. Bee, you have the right dress!

Post # 8
3042 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

You look beautiful in the first dress, though! The second dress is just okay IMO. 

I get that it’s so hard picking just one dress for your wedding, but I think you did great. My recommendation is to stop looking at dresses now and focus on finding the perfect accessories!

Post # 9
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

BEE! That first dress is stunning and it looks like it was made for you!

The second is just…plain. Maybe it’s because it’s too big, but it just doesn’t flatter youl.

Post # 10
896 posts
Busy bee

I like the first one better too!! The simple one is nice, but it looks like it will be hot. You look amazing in both. I had the exact same feelings. I debated between my dress and a ball gown. They were so different. I felt regret after my dress purchase. But, I just had my wedding, and I was so happy with the dress I picked. Like the others have said, you chose your dress for a reason!

Post # 11
741 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

What season are you getting married in? The second dress looks very winter-wedding, the first looks like you could wear it at any season. The first one really flatters you!

Post # 12
360 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Oh my goodness, the dress you got is INCREDIBLE.  You look so truly lovely.  You will be an an absoutle vision of beauty on your wedding day. xoxo

Post # 13
1044 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2019 - USA

francesjoys :  I went through the same thing just last week and ended up getting the one I liked most. They both look beautiful on you but I would go with the one you feel best in. That way you won’t have any reservations about it. It really doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks looks better- it’s how you feel in it that matters most! YOU have to love your gown. If you really can’t get over it I would recommend going back to try on the other dress. Who knows- you might just realize you love the one you got! 

Post # 15
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

You look amazing in both.  I would settle in and get used to the dress you selected because it looks great.  I promise you, when the day of your wedding comes, you will completely forget about any dress anxiety you ever had and never think on it again!  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors