(Closed) Dresses & Distance planning

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
31 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I was kind of in the same boat…. I’m in school in MS and getting married in my hometown in northern IL.  I hear dresses are pretty expensive/difficult to carry on a plane, so it could be a challenge to bring it back to STL with you for the wedding.  Will you be going back to STL at all before the wedding? (would you be able to do fittings, etc. there?).  Depending on how often you plan to go back before the wedding, it might be easier to order in STL.

I did some looking (couldn’t resist!) in MS, but I eventually found my dress and ordered it through a store close to home while I was there over Thanksgiving.  I think a lot of stores will let you keep the dress at the store until the wedding, as long as it’s paid for.  It’s been good for peace of mind that I don’t have to worry about how I’m going to get it back there.  BUT it kinda bummed me out when I got the phone call saying my dress arrived at the store and I knew I wouldn’t be home to go see it for another 2 months!! 

Happy shopping and good luck!

Post # 4
198 posts
Blushing bee

I agree that it depends on how often you can get back to STL to do fittings before the wedding. Since I knew we were planning to drive up to MI for our wedding I decided that it would be easier to purchase my dress in GA so it would be easily accessible for fittings.

Post # 5
70 posts
Worker bee

For me, the critical factor would be time – for looking, trying and fitting.

I’m also kind of in the same boat! I live in Thailand and am getting married in Australia in July. Because we’ll only have four weeks in Oz before the wedding, not to mention the price difference between the two countries, I’ve decided to get my dress made here in Thailand. Fiance and I have joked that if I wear it on the plane, they’ll just have to give us an upgrade, right? 🙂

Post # 7
226 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I was in a similar situation. I live on the east coast, and my wedding is on the west coast where my family lives. I went home for a weekend to do a bunch of wedding stuff and I went to 5 dress shops in 3 days because I wanted to buy my dress out there. But I couldn’t find what I wanted. I ended up buying my dress here, on the east coast, and I’m planning to take it on the plane with me. I think it will be fine either way, thats just how it worked out for me.

The topic ‘Dresses & Distance planning’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors