(Closed) dresses on ebay? custom made for around $150? scam?

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Oh Tiffany_Michael, what do you mean by scam?

They’ll send you a dress all right. It’ll be in the color you asked for. It’ll resemble the photo you choose. It’ll be well sewn and put together and to your measurements. It MIGHT even be a nice dress.

That said, I’ve heard a number of horror stories from other bees about ordering dresses and having them arrive only to find they’re … not exactly what the bride was imagining. I think the biggest difference seems to be fabric quality, and detailing.

If you want to take a chance, I suggest 2 things: 1) don’t buy a dress from a company who won’t first send you a fabric sample. If you don’t know fabric, go to a bridal store and compare it to fabric on dresses there. It’ll hang like those dresses do. 2) Order something simple. No ruffles that can be 2 inches too short, no beading that can get crazy, no lace overlays. Think to yourself, “how many parts of this dress could go wrong?” the smaller the number, the more chance you have of having a dress you will NEVER see until it arrives be what you wanted.

Post # 4
900 posts
Busy bee

Is it from out of the country?  DON’T DO IT!

Post # 5
900 posts
Busy bee

If you can’t reach a person by phone who can talk to you in fluent English, be very wary.

Post # 6
530 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

ditto what daydreamwanderer said.

it will be a  knock-off. it will be very cheaply made.

Post # 7
955 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Oh my goodness…I have heard SO many horror stories about buying from ebay sellers from China (at least 20 bad stories) and nothing at all good. Some of those ladies even paid up to $600 for the knock-off gowns and they were so poor quality that they lost out on the $$ and still had no dress.

There are a couple of places that I have heard have good reputations such as Pearl’s Place. Maybe you could ask around for places that people have had success with?

Post # 9
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’ve heard many differing opinions about ordering custom dresses online. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and get a lovely dress. Sometimes you’ll get a dress that’s 2 sizes smaller than what you need.

Asking for a fabric sample is an awesome idea. That way you can get a better idea of what kind of materials they work with and whether it fits your image in your head.

I’ll finish off by saying I’ve heard good things about lightinabox.com although I’ve not personally ordered from there it seems that people who have are very happy with the results. Just measure yourself carefully, get your FH to measure you, get your mum to measure you, get your best friend to measure you and THEN order your dress.

Post # 10
530 posts
Busy bee

i’d be wary of lightinthebox, too. there is another thread on hear blasting lightinthebox…. when i googled them, on of the first results to come up were tons of websites with people going on about rip-offs, knock-offs, and general junk-selling. i am not sure it’s any different from any of the chinese knockoff factories. in fact, i’m quite certain it isn’t any different. (this isn’t to say that some people don’t get an okay dress, and a great price. but way more people report disappointment with shoddy workmanship: dresses that don’t look like the real thing at all, with loose threads, and cheap zipppers, and etc etc.)

Post # 11
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’ve heard of some good dress makers(from China but not on Ebay. Although I’m sure some on Ebay are good) that have had good reviews. There are some that are very good, not scammers, speak english, will work with you well, and send samples, etc.

I’ll have to see if I can find the information again. I’ll post when I do.

Post # 12
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I have actually heard good things about ebay wedding dresses. Just get sellers who have been in the business for a long time. I know this April Bridal store has like hundreds of good reviews per year.

What may be of concern is that the measurements you provide may not be accurate. So definitely ask a seamstress to measure and never measure you yourself. Another thing is that if you’re picking a design not from the choices he offer but something quite different and elaborate, the communication may not come across and you may not get what you want. It’s easiest to pick a design he already offers and only do minor modifications that are easy to describe/communicate. Good luck!

Post # 13
1220 posts
Bumble bee

I actually just got my dress from China that I bought through Milly Bridal.  IT TURNED OUT FANTASTIC!  Their communication is top notch, I was emailing with the same girl each time and her English was good.  The dress is of course not an exact replica of the Vera Wang that they were copying but hell, it’s so close that I don’t even care!

I would totally order something else from Milly Briday in a heartbeat.

Post # 14
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I just ordered a couple weeks ago from a company off e-bay which is a china store. I recieved an e-mail today saying they needed my telephone number to put on the package and then they would ship it. I’ve already started a thread with my dress on it. After I recieve it I’ll update my thread & add pictures (if I get it). I’m hopeing for the best. The company I went through had lots of positive reviews. If you go to look at their reviews you can actually see what other people have ordered and what they’re comments are. I sent messages to 5 or so people who ordered the same dress as I was looking at. I heard back from 3 of them who all said they were very happy with the quality & would be wearing it for their wedding. That was enough confirmation for me because the savings is worth it to me. I can always have alterations done If i need to. Good Luck! If you’ve checked their reviews & get some responses from other buyers; i’d say go for it!

Post # 15
5273 posts
Bee Keeper

Don’t be scared! You have to do your research and find someone reputable. For example, I got my dress custom made in China & from what I read in a post, so is Miss Lab. I also wrote a post about this months back:

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/hiring-a-chinese-dressmaker

I found my guy while reading the book “Bridal Bargains” he was listed by name in the book, then I did research on various blogs. His ebay name is Jeffliu8000, and everythng I read about him was positive, I also spoke with other girls who had great results. My dress that I ordered was based on a St. Puchhi gown that was $7000! Plus, there were a few things about the dress that I didn’t like, such as the crystals & the back. SO, I had him custom make a gown, and having no crystals & closing the back with fabric covered buttons. He did a GREAT job! It is crazy how similar the dresses look! AND it falls at excatly the same point as the original (which is a dropped waist and I was unsure if he could make his fall at the same point) and he did! The dress was under $200 and I got to customize it the way I wanted! Here is a pic of the original & I will try to remeber to post a pic of my custom gown!

Arrgg!! Attachements arn’t working, will post tonight 🙂

Post # 16
5273 posts
Bee Keeper

Oh also, had to add that Jeffliu8000 is the owner of April’s Bridal, so if you do research you can look for both 🙂

The topic ‘dresses on ebay? custom made for around $150? scam?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors