(Closed) Dublin, Ireland for 2013 St. Patrick's Day??

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’ve been to Ireland twice in March – once for a class trip the week before St. Paddy’s day, and once for my 21st birthday the week after.

The weather was gorgeous for my birthday trip in late March. I needed a coat in the mornings and evenings, but several afternoons got close to 70 degrees.

The trip in early March was definitely chillier, but it wasn’t anything unbearable.

Post # 4
2457 posts
Buzzing bee

I haven’t been there for St. Paddy’s day, but we were around there for Arthur’s Day, which is the celebration of Arthur Guiness. Prices of our hotely SKYROCKETED – like, we got it for about $90 (US) per night because I booked 6 mo in advance… a couple months before we left, because of the holiday, it was $848/night. So – I would say, it would most likely be incredibly fun and exciting, but book NOW if you’re going to do it at all. 

Also – as far as the weather – if you can deal with cold and rainy, then go for it! It’s ALWAYS cold and rainy there. Hubby and I had our honeymoon there (all over Ireland) and rained every day, and was windy every day. If you have the right clothing and an umbrella, you’ll be just fine ๐Ÿ™‚ It was quite pleasant, actually! Plus, gives you a reason to go grab a pint of Guiness to warm up a little! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 5
5547 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

I haven’t been for St. Patricks day but Dublin is an incredible place. But I could see it being insane and busy which to me wouldn’t be much fun. We were there at the begining of tourist season and summer so the weather was WONDERFUL and there was lots of stuff open without there being a million other tourists. Of course I think getting out of Dublin and into the country side was 100x better. Wicklow and Glendalough, the Burren, Aran Island, Northern Ireland near the Causeway Coast, Dingle, Doolin and some of the less urban areas were much nicer to me. The people are wonderful but Dublin is a big urban city and a very different feel than other places, I’m sure around a major holiday then it would be nuts. Of course isn’t St. Patricks a bigger deal in places on the East Coast (USA) than it is in Ireland?? 

Post # 7
73 posts
Worker bee

@chasesgirl:  Doolin was by far my favorite place, too. I chatted up a bunch of locals at the pub one night and ended up closing the place down with them. Great memories. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Benavis1489:  No worries. We still had decent weather in early March. It was chillier and didn’t get near the 70s, but we still had a good amount of sunshine throughout the week. Seemed like a pretty normal balance between sun and rain during that trip.

And I definitely second leaving the city to check out the countryside if that’s not already in your plans. Dublin is definitely a cool city, but you’ll get a much more authentic experience by venturing out to the surrounding smaller towns.

Post # 8
5547 posts
Bee Keeper

@Averne:  Us too! Minus this super drunk guy from Cork who was trying his hardest to get me (at barely 18! and he must have been 30) to go back to his hotel room, the locals were amazing! And the music… Loved it! 

Post # 9
265 posts
Helper bee

chasesgirl That’s not necessarily specific to Cork. I married a Cork man, and he’s awesome. : )

I’ve been in every season, and the weather has always been unpredictable at best. We’ve gotten sunburnt in April, and we were just there in September- It was sunny the whole time we were there, bar a few short showers. If you do go, get out of Dublin at some point. Dublin is fun, and St. Paddy’s day there is crazy, but there are so many other beautiful parts of the country. It’s definitely an experience, but I guess it depends on what you’re looking for.

Post # 10
5547 posts
Bee Keeper

@sweetie78:  I’m sure it isn’t! He just happend to have a VERY thick accent I am told is Cork and being drunk made it worse! Of course I’m sure my twang was as bad to them, though at least nut a drunken slur of a twang. 

Post # 11
1280 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

OP don’t mean to thread jack but did you go through a travel agency for your trip or you just winging it?  my bestfriend and I want to go in March or April and want to know prices…

Thanks.

Post # 12
658 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

So jealous. My fiance is Irish and we have always dreamed of getting married in Ireland. We are thinkin that we will vacation there in a few years when we are more financially fit, problem is, we wont want to come home. Enjoy yoru trip and show uss the great photos!

Post # 13
2457 posts
Buzzing bee

@Benavis1489:  I used Booking.com when I did all our bookings, and it worked out great. I was also able to book us in places with breakfast provided, also. It was great. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 14
5547 posts
Bee Keeper

@mija22: Not the OP but when I did it, we spent 3 weeks for about $3000 including airfare. BUT we stayed in hostels (seriously, some are as nice as your average cheap American hotel! But like $20/night) and ate lots pub food and crackers, cheesse and fruit for meals. There are ways to spend a WHOLE lot more, nicer food, more expensive hotels and such but we found that we spent very little time in the rooms anyway so it didn’t matter as long as we had running water and a bed. We planned it all on our own, 

Post # 15
265 posts
Helper bee

chasesgirl Cork accents can be very thick!I still have trouble understanding some of his family members!

When we’re not staying with family, we’ve used this site to book hotels http://www.todayfmbreaks.com/ ( (all include full breakfasts), and we’ve had success with Priceline (bidding on hotels, just make sure you know a little about the areas you’re bidding on!).

Benavis1489 I would also recommend you DON’T stay in Temple Bar, especially during busy weekends. Clubs are open late, and the noise from the street is insane.

Post # 16
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

My husband and I are going to dublin in March of 2014 around St. Patricks also. We’re also planning on going out to the woods, drink and go leperchaun hunting lmao. I heard one day it can be snowing, then the next be warm. I’d just bring clothes for all kinds of weather lol

The topic ‘Dublin, Ireland for 2013 St. Patrick's Day??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors