(Closed) E6000 glue

posted 7 years ago in DIY
  • poll: E6000 how do you feel
    I know it could be harmful and I still use : (6 votes)
    46 %
    I know it could be harmful and I dont use it : (2 votes)
    15 %
    I dont know about it being harmful and thats why I use it : (3 votes)
    23 %
    I dont do DIY and dont know what E6000 is : (2 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 3
    5148 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

Everything is “known in the state of California to cause cancer”.

Do you eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners in it? I don’t use artificial sugars, but they used to, perhaps they still do, have a warning on the sweetener packets “known in the state of California to cause cancer”.

I use all natural and/or plant-based cleaners, shampoos, etc. But I do use E-6000 glue.

Why? Because it works awesomely and I use it so infrequently it really doesn’t matter. Versus the other things I avoid nasty chemicals on are things I use and surround myself with on a daily basis.

Unless you plan on shutting yourself in an unventilated room and sniffing glue for hours on end, day after day, I wouldn’t really worry about it.

Post # 4
    3601 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 1992

@abbyful: hahahahahahahahahahaha

@bells: I wouldn’t worry about it, just use according to the directions in a well-ventilated space.

Post # 5
    3982 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I had never heard of it until this post!

Post # 6
    458 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I noticed that too a couple months ago I was looking for epoxy glue (never used the stuff) so of course I couldn’t figure out what glue in Michael’s to get because none said “epoxy” lol. I was totally scared from that warning!

Post # 8
    5148 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

@ bells – The point is that your exposure to the glue for a few minutes, the “harm” is virtually none relative to your day to day life. You are exposed to more toxins on a far more consistent basis; even in the air your breathe.

It’s like worrying about dying from a pandemic killer outbreak of avian flu, yet not wearing your seatbelt in the car.

Gluing a few things together will not give you cancer. If you use it every day for long periods of time, such as if it was your job to use it, then you may have cause for concern.

Here’s the MSDS: http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/MSDS%20E-6000.pdf

A CNN blog post on the subject of “causes cancer in California”: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/28/cancer-warning-labels-on-products-a-cause-for-concern/

Excerpt from above: “These requirements are pretty strict. For example, for a cancer-causing chemical, according to the state’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, “a person exposed to the chemical at the ‘no significant risk level’ for 70 years would not have more than a ‘one in 100,000’ chance of developing cancer as a result of that exposure.” So, if there would be more than one excess case of cancer out of 100,000 people over a period of 70 years because of exposure to that amount of the substance, slap on that label.”

Even “grilled food” they say causes cancer now days. They say the char marks on the food are the culprit.

(Heck, even plain water can kill you when drank in excessive quantities.)

Post # 9
    3166 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

@abbyful: agreed – California law is a whole ‘nother beast and I wouldn’t worry about it. we’ve had that stuff around the house for like 20 years.

The topic ‘E6000 glue’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors