Early August 2020 US Brides – what are you doing?

posted 2 years ago in Engagement
Post # 2
1 posts
Wannabee

We have been dating for 14 years and are planning to get married on the same day. So I feel your pain. We are getting married in Europe with some US guests, so our situation is slightly different.

Currently we are planning to wait it out for as long as possible. We are monitoring the situation closely. Of course we want everyone to be safe, but also feel for the economy and try to do our part by being patient.Good luck!

Post # 3
17 posts
Newbee

Our date was Sept 19th, we already canceled our date and postponed it to summer of next year. We have family that are outside of the country that we would like to attend. Even if things get well here in the states in September, we didn’t want to risk it with what is happening around the world. 

Also our guest list is about 200-225, we want people to feel comfortable coming to the wedding with such a large amount of people and not have any worries about the virus. It definitely hurts and makes me feel shitty we had to postpone everything. I understand what is going around the world and funny enough i feel horrible saying im sad I had to postpone my wedding when there are thousands of people falling ill and losing family or friends. Nevertheless it still hurts and I can understand the state of confusion you are in. Unfortuantely the best you can do is just monitor the situation and play it safe, whatever that means for you guys. 

Good luck and all my positive energies to you. 

Post # 4
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2020

If it is any consolation, our wedding is set for June 20, 2020… we have reserved Aug 29th as a backup date and will probably push to that in the next couple weeks if things continue looking questionable. I think by August, things should have calmed down. My friends in the healthcare field tell me late summer may be the best bet for this year. Possible slow down in cases over the summer and a possible rise in the fall when schools start back up. If I were you, I would wait as long as possible to make any rash decisions. This situation is changing so rapidly all the time. 

Hang in there, you aren’t alone in this craziness! We have been planning for over a year and a change of date breaks my heart a little. But… health and safety of loved ones come first. Best of luck!! 

Post # 5
4786 posts
Honey bee

Even if we are effective at flattening the curve, I personally would not host a wedding bigger than the officiant and required witnesses this year, and I definitely would not attend one. This will be around until we have herd immunity, and I would not want to risk anybody dying because of my wedding. If you think I am overreacting, just look up patient zero in Chicago. 

Post # 6
1 posts
Wannabee

Our wedding date is 8/8 also. Our wedding planner told us to wait until mid-May to make a decision about postponing, but I just don’t see how we can still have the wedding we planned. We planned on having around 130 guests in upstate New York. Most guests have to travel (they are spread out around the country) or drive up from New York City. As our state has been the worst hit, I’m afraid it will be the last to open up and no one will want to travel here. 

Another thing I have been wondering is what to do on 8/8 if we do have to postpone. Do we have a small celebration? And where? Do you have any ideas?

Post # 7
2 posts
Wannabee

My wedding is the same date 8/8 in Michigan and we are still planning for this date 100%. We will just have to wait and see. Our guest list isn’t large, only about 80 people. I think that late summer is better than fall because chances are there could be an uptick in cases once temperatures start to dip again. Best of luck and try to stay positive! 

Post # 9
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2021

View original reply
bee4bowen :  postpone until 2021.  This is all we can do.  Getting married this year is so problematic, confusing and unknown and staying home policy will still be in effect this summer.  We have to concentrate on protecting ourselves and others.  Having an event this year is kind of irresponsible and selfish.  https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/ama-states-should-follow-4-signposts-safely-reopen-america

Post # 10
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2020 - Rye, NY

Our wedding is 8/14 in New York and we are going to get legally married on our original date and postpone our reception to next fall. As someone said to betches brides, longer to enjoy this time and be a “bride”. I wouldn’t wait because you will start to have less and less dates available for you next year

Post # 11
165 posts
Blushing bee

Our date is 8/15. We are in Boston but planned to get married in CT with a guest list of 60 people. We said we would decide at the end of this month, but I think we’re ready to make the call to ditch the big plan and get married around here with 10-20 people (if allowed).We will host dinner after, be it going to a restaurant, getting takeout, whatever depending on how many guests we have. Maybe it will just be us two! 

We agreed a while ago that we value starting our marriage more than the party and we can always have a great first anniversary bash! I don’t want to stress, I just want to be this dude’s wife for as long as possible. 

Post # 12
155 posts
Blushing bee

We are August 8th near Toronto, Canada. Guestlist about 250 people- lots travelling.
At this point our venue won’t let us change the date yet – so we are at a waiting point. 
it’s difficult to enjoy this time… some days I am 100% certain it’s not happening and then every once in awhile I feel a glimmer of hope… 
We will decide early June.

Edit: Just realized you asked for US brides…sorry! I’ll leave my response up nonetheless.

Post # 13
878 posts
Busy bee

My friend announced this weekend they are postponing their casual restaurant reception from 8/1 to next summer. They haven’t been able and likely won’t be able to do any of the normal prep (food or beverage tasting, hair and makeup trials, etc.) and it all got to be too stressful so they are planning to marry in July and do an anniversary celebration later.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors