Make design 2 : (11 votes)
    14 %
    Buy hat C (post 51) : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 32
    407 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

If you’re going for a vintage look, then the direction you’re going is great.  Don’t respond to the rude, the snarky or the straight up mean.  Different isn’t really well accepted on WB. 

Post # 33
    2015 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
    @Eckle:  Im going to try and be constructive.

I love your dress and i love your hair inspiration. In my opinion i feel you need to add some width to your face. too much on top may make your face look too long. 

I have seen your engagement photos and you look great in hats. I think mainly because when they fall just above your eyebrows they help balance your face. I am the same. i have a long face.

I totally get your ideas. I personally love these ideas

Vintage hair jewellery placed at the sides will help balance your overall look and are beautiful.

I also agree with you on the Amish comments. Nothing wrong with looking amish at all except if that is a look you are going for your dress is a little too modern and detailed.

Post # 34
    1219 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@Eckle:  I’m sad you rejected the headband idea. Personally, if it’s not going to be a veil or headband, I would stick with the pretty hairstyle and some pins/a comb. Like you I had a lace illusion neckline on my dress (though v necked in the back) and I wore this comb in my hair. The hairdresser told me that without it, once I took off my veil, the hairstyle would not be necessarily bridal. I think she was right and this was perfect.

If you are dead set on the hat, I would go with the one labeled A, but I’d be irritated by the non-matching lace.

Post # 35
    2196 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I like hat A and I think it would look great because it has a bit if detail but still fairly simple with your very detailed dress. I personally would rather buy something made for me than buy supplies and risk mucking it up, but I’m not very crafty so if you feel more confident about making one yourself then go for it. 

I am in favour of a hat or failing that no headpiece. 🙂

Post # 36
    5789 posts
    Bee Keeper

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/200001631/bridal-hats.html?pvId=14-29&isrefine=y

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Handmade-Vintage-Women-s-Gauze-Feather-Three-dimensional-Bride-Small-Fedoras-Hair-Accessory/1465813044.html

Here’s a lot of different styles if you’re determined to wear a hat. Buying the materials alone will cost you way more than many of these prices.

If your dress was truly vintage in fabric and style, it would be much easier to pull the look together. I personally would get the hairstyle I like (with more height everywhere) and most definitely have a trial run well before the wedding….but have your desired headpiece there to see how it will all look.

With that dress, I’d wear nothing or just a few fresh flowers tucked in.

Post # 38
    1841 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I’ve been following this saga, and I must say that I think you are adorable!  I like the hat idea, but somehow find that the ones you posted are a little heavy.  And that’s only my opinion.  I keep seeing you in a hat/fascinator with a wee bit of height (either with tulle or feathers or something).  And a birdcage.  But in the smaller net.  Like this:

Bridal Veil and Fascinator set in ivory  - Modern Bride - bridal, wedding, headpiece, ship ready, 2 pc set

Post # 40
    1684 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@Eckle:  I think you should 100% buy the hat you love.  Yes it isn’t bridal, but you will be able to use it for so many other formal functions (friends and family weddings, galas, etc).  Heck, you could even wear it to your shower.

Then, once you have it in your hands, you can use it as a guide to put together your bridal one.  You can figure out if that shape is what your are envisioning for when you walk down the aisle, and you can start playing with hair style. 

Post # 41
    3208 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

View original reply
    @Eckle:  if you’re adamant about wearing a headpiece and want a hat, then a small tear-drop shaped hat base that you bead based on your inspiration is a good idea.

However, I agree with PP that pins or a comb would look best. You’re a pretty girl but there continues to be a severity in the accessories you choose as they would look with your hair and your face shape. If that’s the look you’re going for, then continue on with your vision! I’m in a similar boat. Inadvertently, my engagement party look has become a very Jackie Kennedy-inspired look and my friends will not stop pointing it out. It was getting on my nerves because I wasn’t going for that vintage look, but I don’t want to sway from my vision, so it is what it is. 

Post # 42
    1934 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
    @Eckle:  I voted for design #2 because I don’t think the buttons on design #1 have enough shine to match the design inspiration.  

However, I personally would pick a jewelry comb to tuck into that beautiful hair-do.  Your dress has a lot of fabric up to- almost to your earlobe, and I think your face would get lost in the hat and dress combo. Putting a nice side comb in would just highlight your face without distracting. But, I’m also the type who doesn’t wear statement earrings AND a necklace together, because I always believe it’s one or the other.  Since your dress (which is gorgeous by the way) is so much fabric I would really avoid fabric on the head (veil, hat, otherwise).  But ultimately you should go for what YOU love and stop asking strangers for their opinions– especially because it looks like some are upsetting you.  DO YOU and love it!!! 🙂

Post # 43
    1443 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
    @cowoman:  The brown hat doesn’t match, at all.  Maybe in white or ivory, but not brown.

OP, maybe just a simple flower in your hair.  If you go the hat route, if it were my choice, I would have it be the same color as my dress.

Post # 44
    477 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @Eckle:  Only you know your own abilities. Personally I think a hat can work very well with your dress. I dislike most veils but my Fiance ask if I would wear one for him & for a 30-45 min ceremony I will (one that I actually like tho). Wear what you want and feel beautiful in. I love the brown one and can see it working in ivory and the design doesn’t look terribly difficult to do. However I feel the lace from the other two ties into the dress more. I would go with the diy ivory button one just because it’s your favorite if you haven’t choosen your bridal jewelry yet then I would say see if you can tie them in with the hat so everything flows well. Or go with design 2 with the same shape but and some lace and beading. The problem with these post are because they aren’t ppl taste some ppl aren’t any help. It may not be my style but I think it would look gorgeous on you.

Post # 45
    2563 posts
    Sugar bee

I don’t like any of the hat options, a jeweled hair comb or flower would look much better.  I still think a veil would work just fine.  I am wearing a chapel length veil and having a beach wedding at the ocean.  There will probably be wind, but whatever.  I was watching an episode of Four Weddings where there was a beach ceremony, and the bride’s veil looked so pretty floating in the breeze.  Turned out the Maid/Matron of Honor was holding it so it didn’t bunch up!  lol.  Looked very nice though.

The topic ‘Eckle's headpiece adventure continues’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors