- 6 years ago
- Wedding: May 2015
I’m just getting started in my chosen career, after a few years of experimenting after college. I’ve just been admitted to grad school (YAY!!) and have applied to lots of summer jobs and internships in my field– plant ecology and field work.
So. . . I just got a TENTATIVE job offer for a temp position, pretty irresistable sounding, at the state Fish and Wildlife dept., from someone I’ve known for years. I had recently interviewed with him for a different position that I didn’t get, but he was impressed by me and thinks I would be good at this job. It’s tentative because he still needs to get formal approval for the position (which had been OK’d for another person some time ago, but then that person found a different job) from the head of his department. One of the people I’d work with, who will help advocate for the position being activated for me, is on vacation until Monday. They guy who makes the final decision is on vacation until the end of next week. It sounds like the position will be OK’d, but we don’t know yet and probably won’t until the beginning of the week after next.
This creates a potential problem, because I interviewed for 2 good summer positions with another organization recently, and they say they’ll let me know their decision early next week.
I prefer the Fish & Wildlife job, but am really worried about what to do if the other organization does indeed contact me early next week, and offers me something. I must have a job in my field this summer or I’ll go crazy!
SO, what do I do if I’m offered one of the positions I applied for with the other org., early next week before I know whether or not the Fish & Wildlife job is a go? Can I ask the people with the other org. for a few days to a week to “think about it,” while I wait for word on the F&W job? I REALLY don’t want to jeopardize my chances of getting any of these jobs, so I’m concerned about asking for time to think. BUT I want to F&W job more. . . the thing is I’m not COMPLETELY certain that it will exist, although the fact that my old acquaintance even mentioned it tells me that he must think it’s almost certain to go through.
OK– thank you!