(Closed) Elegant Touch Bridal & Tuxedo- TERRIBLE DISHONEST STORE

posted 8 years ago in Baltimore
Post # 3
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2010

This post is offensive! I am unable to believe the content since, my family and I have been dealing with Elegant Touch for over five years and we have received great service from all the girls and the owners.

I purchased my prom gown five years ago, a beautiful red ball gown, I felt like a princess. My sister’s wedding was last July and the entire family purchased their dresses and rented their tuxedos for the event. Pat Colleen and the girls were fantastic.

My sister was absolutely beautiful; all seven bridesmaids including myself were perfect. I am purchasing my gown from Elegant Touch after the holidays; I have found nothing but excellent service and wonderful congenial people at Elegant Touch, that is why I find your post offensive.  Beeeeecareful you are aware that you are liable for everything you post.

Post # 4
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Actually, “BethJames,” the original poster is correct–it is illegal for them to do what they’re doing, regardless of how “great” their customer service is:

To quote from Daydreamwanderer’s previous post:

The Federal Textile Products Identification Act, Title 15, Sec 70 (for you law buffs out there, the citation is 15-USC-Sec 70 exec) says all apparel sold in this country must include a label with the manufacturer’s name, the fiber content and the country oforigin.

Violations of the law are punishable with up to a year in prison or a $5000 fine.

Some shop owners make excuses for this practice:one common story we hear is that since they are not actually selling the sample gowns, they don’t need to have tags.We say,“nice try.” Part 303 of the FTC’s trade regulation rules (“Rules and Regulations under the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act”) clearly states that samples used to sell textiles must be correctly labeled. We should also point out that nearly all bridal shops sell their samples too,but they don’t put the tags back in when they put them on the sale rack.

Finally, while you do have a right to know the name of the manufacturer of the gown, the style number is another issue. Consumer law does not require retailers to give you the style number ofa dress. As a side note,there is one unfortunate loophole to the law: shops can replace manufacturer’s tags with their own tags, as long as they indicate their store name,fiber content and country of origin.

Bridal shops who cut out tags

So regardless of their salespeople, they are following illegal practices which are shady and are not acceptable.

EDIT: and although she does not need to be told the style number, she still should have been able to find a tag to ensure that the correct manufacturer was quoted.

Post # 5
3162 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

There is nothing offensive about this post. The OP is entitled to post about HER experiences with this establishment. You are lucky to have had a different experience with them, and it is your right to post a response stating that you had a different experience, but do not call the OP a liar. I’m sure she would not have made this up for no reason.

Post # 6
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I agree – nothing offensive at all.

Thank you so much for the information about Elegant Touch.

Post # 7
409 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

Thanks for the info, good to know

Post # 8
1763 posts
Buzzing bee

Thanks for the info. They should be ashamed of themselves for that kind of behavior. As far as they know you could have showed your mom a picture and walked right back in and bought it from them. Too bad they acted like that.

@Beth- I almost thought you were the vendor. There is nothing offensive about sharing an experience that was negative.

Post # 10
Hostess
18644 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

That’s ridiculous that you were treated that way.  I don’t understand why people don’t know how to be polite to customers.

Post # 11
289 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Thanks for posting this information! I agree that your post was absolutely NOT offensive.  In case you are still looking for dresses, you may want to check out Lex Bridal in Annapolis, MD. This is where I bought my wedding gown…absolutely no complaints.  Good luck!!

Post # 12
2 posts
Wannabee

I agree with Amy. This shop is very dishonest.  I went to the shop a few weeks ago and found a really great dress.  My sales associate was really nice and I did feel rushed or pushed towards any dress. So I made an appointment to come back after the New Year because they were going to get in some new dresses and to try on the dress I loved once more. I walk in and see the same associate from my previous visit. I tell her that I am not feeling well. She says she understands. I ask her if the dress I love is still available, she says it is. I ask her if she thinks it will be discontinued any time soon. She says no and that’s it very popular. She would call me if it was going to be discontinued. So I try on some of the new dresses and the one I love. I ask to make an appointment to come back next weekend when I am feeling better to try on the dress one last time and to purchase the dress. She says that’s fine. Another lady comes out and starts questioning me about why I don’t want to buy the dress that day. I say I don’t want to. She says she can take 10% off today. I say money is not problem I rather try it on one more time. She tells me the dress has “been called back to the designer.” I ask her why. She then goes to back and pulls out boxes to “prove she wasn’t lying.” I say I do not want to buy the gown to today. She ask’s me what is holding me back. It was very unprofessional and turned me “off” to the shop. The sales associate seemed to be as angry as myself and asked the older lady why she wasn’t told about the stituation. The sales associate then tells me it’s okay, I can still order the gown next weekend. The older lady then tells the sales associate that it is discontinued as of Tuesday and I would have to order it right away.  I don’t know if the older lady was pulling my leg to make a sale but I sure am angry about this shop. It’s not like I was in there playing dress up. I just wanted to try the dress on when I didn’t have a fever to be 100% sure.  The dress is also a private collection gown. I am in the process of trying to find a corporate number to call to confirm the dress is actually being discontinued.  I left the shop feeling like I was at a sleazy used car dealership.  

Post # 13
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

wow… I don’t understand being a business owner and treating customers in such a manner, or letting the staff. That terrible, I am shocked they are still in business. 

Post # 14
3125 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Thank you for the heads up – a lot of people in the MD area will appreciate this post.

Post # 15
2 posts
Wannabee

Update:

So the TRUTH about Private Labels or Private Collections is that it’s one big scam.

I talked to a bridal shop owner in VA when I was trying to find my dream gown else where and she said that almost all shops remove the labels and call it a Private Collection gown so you can’t go elsewhere. Basically they creating a stituation where they have all the power because of the illusion of limited supply.

On Wednesday I contacted the store. The owner apologizes and says the will hold the dress for me to try on until the following weekend and that I can order until the end of the month. I get even more suspicious and start to research online.

During my research I learn the following :

It is illegal for any manufacturer to remove labels from garments(THE TEXTILE PRODUCTS IDENTIFICATION ACT). This includes wedding gowns! http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/textlact.htm

When a label is removed there is no proof of country of origin. But even more importantly there is no proof of materials. This is extremely   important because it often defines the price of a wedding gown. Without the labels a bride cannot verify the materials used in the gown.

After hours of searching I found the gown. http://www.houseofbrides.com/jacquelin-exclusive-wedding-dress-style-9660-p-33-35-5883.aspx The bridal shop had asked $899. Online it is $499.  Elegant Touch had established “The Private Collection” scam in order to create a false sense of limited supply. It also gave the shop all the power. It is shocking that many brides fall for this scam when purchasing there gowns. I know I almost did!!!

No savvy consumer would ever purchase a car if they were told “it is a private car manufacturer.”  But because a bridal gown is a once in a lifetime purchase and a very emotional one – many brides fall the scam and do not blink twice.

So LADIES don’t give into the Private Collection scam.

I wish you all luck. 🙂

Post # 16
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I first want to say that I’m sorry to hear that people had such horrible experiences at Elegant Touch Bridal and Tuxedo.  We have enough stress when it comes to planning our weddings, and we certainly would prefer good customer service when purchasing something as important as our wedding gown.

However, I would like to let area brides know that I have had a wonderful experience at Elegant Touch.  I actually live over an hour away from the shop, but I decided to get my dress there because the customer service was and has been excellent.  I received a 15% discount on my gown…it ended up costing less than a lot of people are selling it for preowned.  All of the assistants have been warm and helpful, and most importantly, I feel they went out of their way to treat my mother with kindness and respect.  The woman who does alterations is a hoot!  

I’m not sure why someone thought the original post was offensive…it was an honest description of a horrible experience.  I just wanted to let others know that my experience at Elegant Touch Bridal and Tuxedo has been wonderful, and I would highly recommend them to other area brides.

The topic ‘Elegant Touch Bridal & Tuxedo- TERRIBLE DISHONEST STORE’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors