(Closed) Eloping & Still having our Ceremony/Reception as planned

posted 9 years ago in Virginia – Southwest Virginia
Post # 3
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

How excited are you that you’re getting married Saturday!  Congrats, that’s so exciting!  I think it’s totally ok to have a small, private, courthouse ceremony and then a big wedding a little later on.  Lots of people do this whether it’s for medical/insurance issues, military personnel being deployed, financial issues, etc…  I don’t think your first ceremony will in any way ruin your second ceremony and reception or make it less special.  In fact, I’m sure your second ceremony will be more special because you already have the legalities out of the way and now you can just concentrate on the relationship and real marriage commitment.  I say, go for it! 

Post # 4
1 posts
Wannabee

I think this is a great idea. My fiance and I are thinking about doing the same thing. I work 3 part time jobs and none of them give me insurance and he just started a new job (while going to pharmacy school) that is giving him insurance and benefits. Win win for us and me if I’m his Mrs. Between that and the face that we simply can’t afford a huge wedding right and have family members with medicial issues, we got the idea to have a small private wedding,. It’s a lot of stress in both of our families right now and no one seems to have a problem with us already being married when we have the wedding. It’s not really the wedding that marries you, it’s the piece of paper you sign – so sign it whenever and then have a party!

Post # 5
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Hey!  I’m also in SW VA.  I feel your struggles, we are going through the same thing–wanted a civil ceremony now and then a bigger ceremony with our religious ceremonies later.  While it would be better for us for legal, medical, and personal reasons, our families are both very much against it.  They feel that whatever the second ceremony is, it won’t be the *real* one and people will be hurt that they couldn’t be at the first one.  It sucks that people can’t be more understanding, but you hope that the ones you really want to celebrate and support your relationship will be happy to do so anytime, but it might take them a while to realize it and get over their initial disappointment.

The topic ‘Eloping & Still having our Ceremony/Reception as planned’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors