(Closed) Eloping – need help!

posted 10 years ago in Elopement
Post # 3
5988 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

we eloped and there are two things that i would change if we did it again.

1 was the time, we married 1pm on a blazing hot beach under the blazing hot sun – i would go for an early morning or late afternoon wedding. 

2, we didnt hire a photographer and only got a few snaps from people we gave our cameras to so think about hiring someone when planning your ceremony

we also sent out “message in a bottle” announcements to all our friends and family so they were made aware we married and these went down really well, in fact they have since been copied by one of hubbys cousins

as you mentioned your Fiance is in the military i suggest you make sure you get a few copies of your marriage license because you will need them for the paperwork to get onto DEERS and change his BAH etc – other military bees will know more about this

congrats 🙂

Post # 5
5988 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

im in australia so im not sure how your system works for wedding licenses – im guessing you have to apply at a courthouse so ask them or ask your officient “what now”.  if you are not already a member my friend (married to a marine) is a member of military significate others and support site (militarysos) and i believe the ladies there can be helpful on the military spouse side for this

Post # 7
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Your husband has to update DEERS, but for sure get 2 extra copies of your marrige certificate. All you really need to do is change your name and remember to get the extra copies. Also check the state requirements for marriage licences. Most places will waive the wait period for military, but always double check. That’s all I did when I eloped with my military man. He had to do everything on the military side of things aside from obtaining an I.D. oh and be sure to check to see how much the licence cost as well as the officiant. I think we paid right around $140 for everything. Congrats on getting married! 😀

Post # 8
489 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

When you go to get your marriage license, the clerk should tell you how to get certified copies of your marriage license and typically you would get the copes from that office. Here in Columbus, Ohio, we usually tell people they will need 3-5 certified copies because you will need one to take to Social Security to change your name and then to the BMV and if you have a license for your job, you will need to have one for them as well. Your Fiance will need probably at least two for the military for insurance and benefits purposes. Also, if you have a passport, you will need one for them and sometimes Banks and credit card companies will also need them.

To change your name, just make sure you go to Social Security first because that is where the name change takes place.

The topic ‘Eloping – need help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors