(Closed) employed (resident?) in different states…have tax / residency ?s

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

As far as taxes, his employer will deduct income tax from both the state of residency and the state of employment.  If your Fiance remains a WI resident, that’s just a WI tax return.  If he becomes a CO resident, that’s a WI and a CO tax return.  Marriage, of course, complicates this.

I cannot accurately answer your question regarding residency, as that varies from state to state.  However, my guess would be that he will still need some sort of address in WI in order to keep his license and car registered there legally. 

I would recommend him switching his residency unless there is a strong reason not to.  If it’s just a matter of waiting in line and paying fees, it’s worth it.  Also, be sure to notify your auto insurance company.  It’s insurance fraud if you lie about where the car is located, which could result in MUCH bigger expenses if he gets in an accident.

Post # 4
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Hey – This is delayed but in case you see it… I wouldn’t stress too much about it.  I have had a Colorado drivers license while living in St Louis (for school), Vermont, and New York for the past 8 years.  I just never bothered to change it.  I did get pulled over one time and the cop gave me a hard time (but no ticket) but it wasn’t a big deal.  As for license plates, I just leave the plates on there until they expire and then get new ones wherever I’m living.  I had Missouri plates the whole time I lived in Vermont, and now I have NY plates.  The insurance is the one thing I have always changed to the place where I have the car parked most often, but they have never seemed to care about residency, where my drivers license is from, or where the car is registered.  I know that there is a grace period, wherever you go.  I have worked and gone to school with lots of people from out of state, and they’ve always had different license plates/drivers licenses. 

It helps if you have a parent’s address to use.

Hope this helps!  I miss fort collins, and wisconsin is a great place too. 🙂

Post # 5
2397 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

Yep…my hubs and I filed jointly even though we’re both residences of other states (me, Colorado and him, Arizona).  I thought it was going to be a huge ol pain in the arse, but it was just like doing any other taxes.

The topic ‘employed (resident?) in different states…have tax / residency ?s’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors