(Closed) Engaged two year planning 2015 too early?

posted 7 years ago in July 2015
Post # 18
2114 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
@TashandWil:  Good luck on the venue search! How exciting!

Post # 19
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Fiance and I just got engaged this August and are hoping for an August 2015 wedding date. It seems like a long time away for family, but we are also planning on buying a house in 2014. We don’t want to have two big $$ events too close together. We have a venue in mind and just have to figure out the numbers so we can book it. The more people I speak to about the two year engagement, the more I hear that others wished they had done the same!

Post # 20
2143 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

@TashandWil:  hello date twin :). We booked our venue a few weeks ago! Venues book up fast here, so even though we are almost 2 years out, many of the venues we looked at had very limited saturdays left in July. We are also looking at booking our DJ and photographer soon, as they book up quickly as well. We’ll be taking our time  with almost everything else. 

Post # 21
168 posts
Blushing bee

@TashandWil:  Yup! We have been planning for June 2015 since we were engaged in February. Some of the vendors we have contacted think we ae cmpletely nuts, but with school its the only way I could do it. 

Thw good news is we are getting the vendors and dates we want. The bad news is recently I have gotten a few replies of vendors who will not reserve a date until a year in advance and were rather put off at the request. That was pretty disappointing. I understand not being Ble to guarantee the price, but not even wanting to take down our contact info was pretty crappy. If they weren’t the only string quartet in town I definately would look elsewhere… 

ETA: has anyone gone dress shopping or do you know when you will? I cannot seem to figure this out. I want to go in february but am afraid of buying too early and having dress regret.  

Is anyone else running into vendors who won’t book or take you seriously because of the time frame? 

Post # 22
431 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

View original reply
@trainergirl:  I’ve just started dress hunting and I’m glad I did. I had a TON of dresses in mind, some looked great on me, some looked ok, and some were just a disappointment. The one I thought I loved was a disappointment lol. So I guess this means I have to wait a while for some new styles to come out, but I did also find one that I was 99% in love with except for the weight of the fabric, so I miiiiiiiight end up sewing my dress in a similar pattern with a lighter fabric. In that case, I’m REALLY glad I started looking early as that will give me more time to tackle such a project if that’s the way I plan to go about the dress 🙂

Post # 23
168 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
@lovelyhulagirl33:  Wow! okay good to know… I am so one of those people with dolders upon folders of dress photos saved to my computer. I definately have a certain aesthetic but I wanted to try some things on to help me narrow my focus a bit. 

And good luck with potentially sewing your dress… it is an absolute ton of work,but my mom actually made hers as well! to this day she loves every single detail because she got to choose every single stitch! 

Post # 24
2084 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I think it’s a great idea to start early. I myself started around the 2 year mark (started with the venue because I knew it would up fast if I didn’t). Other that I really started putting pen to paper around 20-18 months and now I’m full speed ahead. It’s always good to have that time to plan and sort exactl ywhat you want.

Post # 25
1070 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

MAJOR CAUTION ADVISORY:

I am more than halfway into my 2 year, 8 month engagement.

You know, I thought it would be awesome to book things super early so I could start planning and have everything be smooth sailing.

What I didn’t realize was the enormous amount of regret I’d feel when something new and more fabulous came along.

I’m very unhappy with my dress. Got it way too early (June 2012) but now I’m stuck with it even though I’ve found a few other dresses I would die to have. I just didn’t give myself enough time to shop.

My venue is ok, but I wish with all my heart we would have looked around just a little more.

I’m sick of my photographer’s stuff already (de-liked them on Facebook because I was getting tired of looking at the venue and our photog’s style of taking pictures at the venue).

My advice, look until your heart’s content, but don’t book until about 18-15 months out. Seriously. At this point, I’m throwing my hands up in the air and saying I don’t care what it looks like anymore because I’ve found so many better things than what we booked and I’m mad at myself for being so trigger happy.

Don’t make my mistake!

Post # 27
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Well I have already bought my dress! I know it is a little under 2 years, but I also know myself. I LOVE this dress! It isn’t about the current trend. It truly is unique and has everything I have ever wanted. I took my mom with me and she agrees it embodies everything I want. Next week we are going back to the venue to figure out the pricing. We picked this venue because it is our favourite “date night” restaurant and it is beautiful. It is very sentimental for us. This being said, I will not pick smaller things until much closer to the date because I am not emotionally attached/drawn to them, i.e. stationery, colours etc. You truly have to know yourself. If you feel like you are not emotionally anchored to a choice, maybe waiting isn’t so bad!

Post # 28
180 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

I’m not  2015, but I remember looking at this board in 2012 with a date of 2014 and it seemed far away.

TashandWil  We had a 20 month engagement. I think shorter wedding period is better. If I could go and do it over. I would have stuck to my initial year. Longer engagements help financially, and you’re not rushed with DIY projects, but after such a long term project, you might be sick of it…after a while. There were months that we refused to talk about wedding stuff, because it seems like the only thing we’d been talking about for months….

JackiBean  +1 I ended up with two wedding gowns, and I lost deposit on a gown, because I changed my mind so many times. I sort of regret that too. Money wasted. I did the same thing with invitations, wedding planners etc.

“My advice, look until your heart’s content, but don’t book until about 18-15 months out. Seriously. At this point, I’m throwing my hands up in the air and saying I don’t care what it looks like anymore because I’ve found so many better things than what we booked and I’m mad at myself for being so trigger happy” <—  I totally agree with this. When you’ve been doing it for a while, all the stuff starts to look alike and you’re ready to see an end to your project.

The topic ‘Engaged two year planning 2015 too early?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors